Ducks and chickens living together

Mccluckers

Chirping
5 Years
Jun 5, 2014
uk
Hi guys I have a flock of chickens 9 hens 1 cock I would like to have a couple of duck could they live together if so how would I go about it?

Thanks in advance

I prefer not too, i do have some hens who free range so they get around where the ducks are but generally i dislike combining housing as ducks are wet and messy chickens are dry and roost.

People do though, so i would recommend separate areas allowing it to suit the birds individual needs, also watch the dynamics... Roosters can be aggressive so can drakes, also drakes may try to mate chicken hens that simply does not work and can result in injury or death to hens.

what size are your chickens, breed? and what about the ducks, which are you considering? i would try and keep within the same range.. i don't mix my bantam fowl with my LF ...

I have a mixed flock ranging from a quite large araucana to a tiny welsummer bantam wasn't looking at any particular duck. Which would you recommend ?

I had my ducks and chickens share the same outdoor run. The ducks and chickens had separate housing tho bc the ramp into the coop was too high for the ducks to get into. I had a pool out for the ducks and the chickens kept away from it. The only prob I had was the chickens found it easier to get food out of the ducks house rather than go use their feeders in the coop (they ate the same food) so I was constantly filling it. Plus it seemed the chickens were eating more food than normal bc the duck house was in the run. So I ended up dividing the run. But other than that I had no problems. They got along just fine.

No problems here and one of my ducks even sleeps in with the chickens - the chickens actually leave her a spot free so they don't poo on her!
I didn't plan for it and I have tried to split them but she just loves her chicken buddies too much.

Just be aware that ducks can be messy (1 in with the chucks isn't an issue but more would be) and that they also tend to be a bit ungainly, which could cause injury to the chucks if you get too big a duck.

Good luck

Ok thanks guys I think I will go ahead any duc breeds and do they duck eat the same food as chickens? My chickens are currently on grower feed with oyster shells on the side ( for my layers) because I have a mixed age flock. Any other info on ducks greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Last winter we let 2 ducks into the chicken coup because our pond froze solid for a month. We only have chicken hens in there though. They got along great, shared nesting boxes and food. We had a tub with a trough heater in there for the ducks to muck about and a separate heated waterer for drinking. We did let the ducks back out on the pond when it thawed in early spring. We'll do it again this winter if needed!

Feed is the same with the exception that ducklings need unmedicated chick feed (which they will have an easier time with if it is served as a wet paste).

Ducks need fresh water that's deep enough to submerge their entire beak. They use water to help them swallow so if food is offered then water must be present also.

Other than that it all depends on what you want the ducks for - good laying ducks tend to be a bit larger, whereas the smaller ducks are more ornamental and make lovely pets. Not that bigger ducks don't make wonderful pets as well!!

I'd take a look through the duck reviews and specific duck breed threads here on byc to help you make up your mind.

I'm new to the whole thing but IMO if you have enough room and everyone has what they need, then they can all get along great!
This is Billy, my roo...behind him are 2 Pekin drakes, Dutch and Daffy, and one of their girlfriends..lol...my ducks actually took in my lil lame Silkie as one of their own, although I do have to seperate them at pool time...lol...they all sleep together with her right in the middle!! Crazy critters!

Back
Top Bottom