Ducks and Chickens, Please Help!

Theeggboxtoo

Songster
9 Years
Oct 5, 2010
Alabama
I have a mallard hen, her friends flew off. She is now very lonely, I was wondering if she could live with the chickens? Would she need a pond? Please help!

Last edited:
I have 14 ducks that share a run with 27 chickens. They have separate coops, but usually some chickens end up on the duck side at night. I do have a kiddie pool for the ducks to bathe in. You could put her with the chickens or check on CL for a friend close to her age. She would be happier if you provided water for her to bathe in, especially being a Mallard. I have 4 Mallards and they spend most of the day in the pool, even taking naps in there.

Quote:
I looked on craigslist and I think that I'm going to get two pekins, would a pekin drake be able to safely mate with the mallard?

I have a Mallard pair that lives in and enclosed pen with 19 hens and a rooster. I put a kiddie pool in there, but the ducks think they are chickens and only get in it from time to time. They sleep in the coop with the chickens, and I have caught them a couple times on the roosts. they did not go in with the chickens until they were 6 weeks old and luckily the rooster took them on as his babies. They now follow him around everywhere, and he brings them treats. The only thing I have noticed is that they will peck at a hen if she gets to close to their food, or if they are in the pool.

she flew off,
hit.gif
thanks for all your help.

Back
Top Bottom