Ducks and Chickens, Please Help!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Theeggboxtoo, Jul 15, 2011.

1. Theeggboxtoo

Theeggboxtoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    I have a mallard hen, her friends flew off. She is now very lonely, I was wondering if she could live with the chickens? Would she need a pond? Please help!

Last edited: Jul 15, 2011
  2. SassyKat6181

SassyKat6181 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2010
    Western Mass
    I have 14 ducks that share a run with 27 chickens. They have separate coops, but usually some chickens end up on the duck side at night. I do have a kiddie pool for the ducks to bathe in. You could put her with the chickens or check on CL for a friend close to her age. She would be happier if you provided water for her to bathe in, especially being a Mallard. I have 4 Mallards and they spend most of the day in the pool, even taking naps in there.

3. Theeggboxtoo

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    Quote:I looked on craigslist and I think that I'm going to get two pekins, would a pekin drake be able to safely mate with the mallard?

4. Kaitie09

Kaitie09 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2009
    South Central, PA
    I have a Mallard pair that lives in and enclosed pen with 19 hens and a rooster. I put a kiddie pool in there, but the ducks think they are chickens and only get in it from time to time. They sleep in the coop with the chickens, and I have caught them a couple times on the roosts. they did not go in with the chickens until they were 6 weeks old and luckily the rooster took them on as his babies. They now follow him around everywhere, and he brings them treats. The only thing I have noticed is that they will peck at a hen if she gets to close to their food, or if they are in the pool.

5. Theeggboxtoo

Oct 5, 2010
    Alabama
    she flew off, [​IMG] thanks for all your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by