ducks and Chickens ????

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Le Mitzer, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    Hello
    I have three chickens right now, and a huge chickend run, 100 foot Sq.
    So i have been thinking about digging a hole and making a pond and getting a duck.....
    can they live together???? in the same Coop???
    where do ducks live?

thanks for your advice

2. stargazingmommy

stargazingmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Spokane
    duck prefer drier areas than ducks. ducks are messy and stinky. Chickens can swim, but don't swim well. I would section off the run and make a separate duck area.

3. Chiko

Chiko Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Orem, Utah.
    Of course they can live together. But it would be best to keep them separate. Ducks tend to spill their water and make a big muddy mess. Ducks also don't eat the same food as chickens most of the time. Ducks sleep on the floor not on perches so they might be able to sleep in your coop.

4. littlenell1

littlenell1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2011
    UK
    Ours live together quite happily. They have their own hut to sleep in, well dog kennel and are quite happy. The chickens drink from the pond, and scratch around where the ducks make a mess, and they also have some fallen tree stumps to perch on during the day and keep out of the way of the ducks. If I put food down I make sure that there is a mix for each of them and it is in several places.

5. Le Mitzer

Le Mitzer Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2011
    Provence
    thanks guys......
    any other tips?
    get an older duck?
    get a younger one?
    get two at the same time? or is one ok?
    any tips on breeds

and im not worried about i getting to muddy it is super duper dry where i live.... i water my chickens with the sprinklers almost every day, or it would be like a desert!
    so im thinking a little pond will be good for all
    Oh yeah; should i have a pump in the pond? or will the duck eat all the mosieto lavie?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by