Ducks and Chickens?

As youngsters they probably will.
I would caution against it though.
My drake was raised with chickens and was fine. Until breeding season when he almost killed my flock of laying hens trying to mate them, bully them, dominate them. It was awful. It was ceaseless.
Not that every drake will be like that, but many, many, many will.
An all female flock would probably do fine - though my chickens are merciless bullies to the ducks.

Good info, I am newbie who was considering getting some ducks as well as chickens, but I wasn't sure how they would be together. Probably finding more docile breeds of each type of bird might be better also?

That's good to know about the drakes going after female chickens. You wouldn't think it would go after something that is not the same species, but then again, boys will be boys!

welcome-byc.gif
Another fellow Mainer! Hooray! Don't know about chickens, but getting ducks is a great idea. Be forewarned, duck math is way too easy! Take it from one that knows.

Born and raised Mainah!

Yeah, I have a feeling it will be way too easy for me also! Chicken and duck math. I am interested in trying ducks eggs, only ever had chicken eggs.

Love my ducks, hate their eggs! I do like to use them occasionally for baking, but do not care for eating them. I find them too strong smelling and tasting. Just gave away about 30 eggs to a friend, she is thrilled with them and I didn't have to throw them out. So, that is good.

Yeah, I raised my 4 hens and 1 Pekin drake (who wasn't sexed so I was skunked out of a female) together from the time I brought them home. They were all very fond of each other, in fact Paul wouldn't go swimming unless he could see the chickens nearby
lau.gif
The hens sort of idolized him and would follow him everywhere, he would even walk up into the coop with them at night. About a week ago, however, he began going through ducky puberty and tried to get randy with my hens. The morning he got my Ameracauna by the neck it was time for him to go. Luckily for me, a lady at the local hatchery he had origianlly come from wanted him for her home duck/goose/chicken flock in the country, so I knew he was going to a good home. It was sad to say goodbye, he was a fabulous, friendly and handsome guy. I agree with m.kitchengirl, more often than not I have read stories about even the sweetest drakes terrorizing chicken hens. And they WILL cause serious damage, and they will NOT stop or grow out of it. Duck plumbing is a lot different from chicken, and the neck grabbing is a good way to pull out feathers, not to mention stress the heck out of your laying hens.
I have ordered 2 more ducks from Metzers that will be here in about a week that I am SOOOOO excited for though! My real question here is, is it okay to keep female ducks with chicken hens? I have heard even two females with engage in mating behaviors with each other, but will they play nice with the chickens? I'm not so worried about the chickens giving them trouble since they have been around Paul all their lives and are used to ducks. I have a very docile flock besides. The only trouble maker might be the new Silver Laced I introduced last week but she still is not very aggressive, she's older than my pullets but she's mostly a loner. LOVE ducks though, they have such great personalities and I miss Paul's quacking around here.
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom