ducks and chickens

cxnoodle

Hatching
6 Years
Apr 20, 2013
I am new to backyard chickens....about 6 weeks. We bought 4 ducklings at the same time we bought the chicks (bo and br). We added 4 pr about 4 weeks ago and had them all together and things went very well until last week when I moved them all into the coop. Suddenly the ducks are being little brats to the younger PR s. They chase them away from food and water and have even caused them to hide in little crevices in the coop. Poor little babies seem scared to death. Has any one has success keeping ducks and chickens together or is my only option to move out the ducks?

I am new to backyard chickens....about 6 weeks. We bought 4 ducklings at the same time we bought the chicks (bo and br). We added 4 pr about 4 weeks ago and had them all together and things went very well until last week when I moved them all into the coop. Suddenly the ducks are being little brats to the younger PR s. They chase them away from food and water and have even caused them to hide in little crevices in the coop. Poor little babies seem scared to death. Has any one has success keeping ducks and chickens together or is my only option to move out the ducks?
Unfortunately, ducks and chickens are best keep in separate coops and runs. Ducks are cute but they can be really messy (compared to chickens) and yes bully.

I am also new to this, I have 4 ducklings and 3 chicks and they do great together. for a little while I separated them because the ducks were so wet but now that I remove the water for nighttime they love being back together.

Back
Top Bottom