Ducks and chickens

noah_lives

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 10, 2008
I recently inherited two ducks from a neighbor and wondered if it is safe to house them with my banty chickens? Any problems with disease or the size issue?

Ducks and chickens will get along and can coexist well.

What I would do in your case is house them together for a bit and monitor their actions and such and see how well the get along.

Thank you I was mostly concerned with disease but will give it a try. I also might section out part of the coop and put the ducks in there but seperately for a bit. They are such interesting critters. I think I may have to get a few more in the spring LOL

I wouldn't worry about diseases and such, as long as you aren't concerned that the ducks are sick right now and you don't know it. My geese/ducks have a separate pen from my chickens, but only 2" chicken wire runs between them and they free range together when I let my chickens out in the evening. I haven't had any problems. My chickens picked on my muscovies when I first got them, but they mostly get along just fine. The Muscovies get picked on a lot by the geese, so I put up a separate structure for them in the chicken run and they sleep there at night, but range with the other water birds most days.

All of my birds get locked behind a six-foot fence covered in netting at night to protect them from predators.

I have 16 chickens and 6 ducks living together in the same pen. Every once in awhile the ducks will nip the chickens when they are pestering, but never anything serious. They get along great. I have never had any health problems at all and they have been living together for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom