Ducks and diatomaceous earth

Saigey

Songster
Jun 16, 2019
Alabama, USA
So, I work at TSC, and we got some "Zen Coop" by Manna Pro in. It's a dust, I saw "lemongrass" and "eucalyptus" and thought "hooray, some nice aromatherapy for the ducks and myself" and then realized it had diatomaceous earth in it. :hmm Is that okay for my little bantams?

I was wrong, it isn't Manna Pro, whoops. Liberally sprinkled on the bedding, apparently. I'm not sure how I feel about the silica ingredient, either. 20230206_160426.jpg

Attachments

• 20230206_160414.jpg
    20230206_160414.jpg
    374.4 KB · Views: 5
I personally wouldn’t buy this product. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because it isn’t necessary for ducks. People often use diatomaceous earth to prevent mites in chickens. It is the shells from diatoms, ocean dwelling microscopic organisms. It is sort of like finally ground glass to small creatures like insects and mites. Ducks usually don’t have trouble with mites because they swim. I assume they drown them although their inner feathers don’t get wet so I am not sure. The extra oils in the product will make it smell good for us, the consumer. I believe the silica gel is just a water absorber to prevent it from clumping. So, if you want to use it on your bedding knock yourself out, I do not think it will hurt anything but I don’t think it is needed for ducks.

I personally wouldn’t buy this product. Not because there is anything wrong with it, but because it isn’t necessary for ducks. People often use diatomaceous earth to prevent mites in chickens. It is the shells from diatoms, ocean dwelling microscopic organisms. It is sort of like finally ground glass to small creatures like insects and mites. Ducks usually don’t have trouble with mites because they swim. I assume they drown them although their inner feathers don’t get wet so I am not sure. The extra oils in the product will make it smell good for us, the consumer. I believe the silica gel is just a water absorber to prevent it from clumping. So, if you want to use it on your bedding knock yourself out, I do not think it will hurt anything but I don’t think it is needed for ducks.
I totally was not paying attention to the diatomaceous earth ingredient when I grabbed it from the store. I have learned lots about the horrors of mites from the customers at TSC, and In definitely glad it isn't a duck problem. It's not a huge deal to return it, I work there 🤣 I grow lots of peppermint and sweet mint in the spring, I'll just toss a bunch of that in the coop. They love to eat it, too!

I was wrong, it isn't Manna Pro, whoops. Liberally sprinkled on the bedding, apparently. I'm not sure how I feel about the silica ingredient, either. View attachment 3397636
Diatomaceous Earth is silica rich. It is not harmful to ducks as long as its food grade DE. You can use it to deodorize coops or mix it into their food to keep pests out of it (food grade only!). The ducks can eat it to help with shiny/stronger feathers. But I am not sure this is 'food-grade' or if the essential oils would be problematic. DE helps with pest/parasite control. We used it to help keep ticks/fleas at bay in certain areas as well. Works as to create tiny cuts in the exoskeletons of bugs and desiccates them.

Diatomaceous Earth is silica rich. It is not harmful to ducks as long as its food grade DE. You can use it to deodorize coops or mix it into their food to keep pests out of it (food grade only!). The ducks can eat it to help with shiny/stronger feathers. But I am not sure this is 'food-grade' or if the essential oils would be problematic. DE helps with pest/parasite control. We used it to help keep ticks/fleas at bay in certain areas as well. Works as to create tiny cuts in the exoskeletons of bugs and desiccates them.
Diatomaceous earth is a respiratory irritant and shouldn't be used anywhere you or your birds with their far more sensitive respiratory systems, can breathe it.
It's minimally effective for pest control.

Hi, came to say that you can also use it to help with fleas and ticks for your dogs. But I use perma guard- DE food grade.

Back
Top Bottom