Ducks and dual purpose chickens in same coop?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by LoupGarou, May 5, 2009.

1. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    I've heard that chickens and ducks can be housed in the same coop. I am thinking of getting a dog pen (reinforced with chicken wire) and using it for a run (about 100 sq. feet) and adding a dog crate as a temporary shelter as I build a permanent coop to attach to the run. The flock would consist of approximately six hens and four ducks. Would this be a workable space?

Also, if this system would work, the chicks would be about eight weeks old when the ducks were four weeks old. Could they be integrated successfully?

Thanks!

2. chickaddict

chickaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    Bristol
    A friend of mine has the same set-up. Also in a very large dog cage. The animals get along just fine. The only problem i noticed was that ducks tend to jump into the drinking water making the floor of the coop wet. A wet coop floor doesn't have a pleasant aroma.

3. VicktoryFarm

VicktoryFarm New Egg

May 4, 2009
    Waynesburg, KY
    It could work as a temporary thing, but long term I would keep them separate OR give them a bit more space.

I've tried keeping my chicks and ducklings together and noticed a couple of problems:
    1) The ducks are a lot more messy with the water... the coop gets really yucky really quickly... they like to wash the dirt out of their mouth and it ends up in the water...
    2) Ducks grow faster than chicks and can overcrowd and trample chicks. (Note: at the ages you stated, you may be fine)
    3) Sometimes they don't get along... Some of my roosters really gave one of my ducks a really hard time.

On the other hand... I have a bantam and a duck that hang out with my goats in their pen (lots of room...) and they are like best buds... go figure.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by