Ducks and endless rain

indianaducks

Songster
Feb 4, 2021
Well two weeks ago we got 7+ inches of rain in 24 hours. Then last weekend we got more rain. This week we've had multiple inches of rain every morning. My ducks LOVE IT... they have 2-3 inches of rain in their pen right now.... thankfully it usually recedes within a few hours of the rain stopping. But its making me very glad I got ducks instead of chickens. That being said, I also have a moat around the property every morning with these daily monsoons... I'm thinking I need more animals to go in my moat. :D #whenwilltherainend? #duckslovetherain It also is now impossible to keep their pen even remotely dry and needs a thoroughly cleaning this weekend when we are supposed to get a stretch of a few dry sunny days in a row.

They normally free range but when the moat is a raging river that can sweep away small humans, I prefer to keep them contained and out of the flash flood waters. They seem overly happy to splash around in their watery pen lol

Attachments

• A38E5317-4B3E-4237-A149-BFD66AC4FD6A.jpeg
    A38E5317-4B3E-4237-A149-BFD66AC4FD6A.jpeg
    938 KB · Views: 23
Yep, I commiserate with you! I finally put my horses out today for a short time. They've been inside for days. Even our dry lots, which are a solid 2 ft of packed rock, are soupy on top. Whatever happened to rain every 3-4 days? June in Missouri is insane! Only good news is we got delayed putting in Teff grass for horses and did it right before the rain. Darn that stuff comes up quickly! I highly recommend it for those wanting quick grass in the summer! It's up in 5 days and a nice thick stand, but it's NOT perennial. It's only a warm weather grass. I can't have cold weather grasses with several of my horses, but if you overseeded into rye or bluegrass, I bet you'd have thick grass for the summer. Seeds are minuscule but ok to just rake and use roller on. They need light to germinate.

Now wait till the sun comes out......90% humidity and 95 degrees LOL

Yep, I commiserate with you! I finally put my horses out today for a short time. They've been inside for days. Even our dry lots, which are a solid 2 ft of packed rock, are soupy on top. Whatever happened to rain every 3-4 days? June in Missouri is insane! Only good news is we got delayed putting in Teff grass for horses and did it right before the rain. Darn that stuff comes up quickly! I highly recommend it for those wanting quick grass in the summer! It's up in 5 days and a nice thick stand, but it's NOT perennial. It's only a warm weather grass. I can't have cold weather grasses with several of my horses, but if you overseeded into rye or bluegrass, I bet you'd have thick grass for the summer. Seeds are minuscule but ok to just rake and use roller on. They need light to germinate.

Now wait till the sun comes out......90% humidity and 95 degrees LOL
I have dogs as well and they want to play in the water, but not the heat or get eaten by bugs. This rain has really brought out mosquitos in full force. When its 90% humidity and 95 degrees, (feels like 105 degrees), wearing pants and long sleeves to avoid mosquitos is virtually impossible. It's making me very grumpy LOL. At least the ducks love it right?

UGH. We are flooded but their pen isn't flowing through so the poop just stays wet and piles up. I went yesterday to rake it out even thought its STILL raining. I got some out but until it dries it's just gonna be a stinky mess. I like the pond you gave your ducks. LOL Kinda wish my gangs pen flooded. At least it would take some of the poo away.

UGH. We are flooded but their pen isn't flowing through so the poop just stays wet and piles up. I went yesterday to rake it out even thought its STILL raining. I got some out but until it dries it's just gonna be a stinky mess. I like the pond you gave your ducks. LOL Kinda wish my gangs pen flooded. At least it would take some of the poo away.
Yeah its awful. I'm just hoping they can deal with it for another day or two until things start to dry out and I can do a deep clean this weekend. At least their sleeping quarters have stayed fairly dry. Normally they are out of their pen during the day, but there's a ditch behind their pen/house/mansion that turns into a raging river when we get these heavy downpours and I'm terrified they'll wander to the water and get carried far away. So for now they are penned up.

Yeah its awful. I'm just hoping they can deal with it for another day or two until things start to dry out and I can do a deep clean this weekend. At least their sleeping quarters have stayed fairly dry. Normally they are out of their pen during the day, but there's a ditch behind their pen/house/mansion that turns into a raging river when we get these heavy downpours and I'm terrified they'll wander to the water and get carried far away. So for now they are penned up.
Sounds like a solid plan keeping them safe when waters are raging

Well two weeks ago we got 7+ inches of rain in 24 hours. Then last weekend we got more rain. This week we've had multiple inches of rain every morning. My ducks LOVE IT... they have 2-3 inches of rain in their pen right now.... thankfully it usually recedes within a few hours of the rain stopping. But its making me very glad I got ducks instead of chickens. That being said, I also have a moat around the property every morning with these daily monsoons... I'm thinking I need more animals to go in my moat. :D #whenwilltherainend? #duckslovetherain It also is now impossible to keep their pen even remotely dry and needs a thoroughly cleaning this weekend when we are supposed to get a stretch of a few dry sunny days in a row.
It rains a lot where I live, too!! My ducks have so much fun in the puddles!! I dug out a "pond" in the yard and put a plastic tub in it so the water would stay relatively clean, but the ducks hated it. So, I took the tub out and filled the hole. Of course, the ground stayed soft and the rain has made a deep puddle. Guess where the ducks love to be? 😂

Back
Top Bottom