Ducks and heat, mine don't need it, why do yours?

Mine are 10 days old. It's sunny and 71 out. I'm gonna try taking them outside for most of the day. Let's see how this goes.

Update: They are LOVING the weather! I wait until it's close to 70 out with warm (or little to no) wind and they stay out all day until dark when it gets cold. (Then I get scared they'll get TOO cold and bring them back in with their lamp). We just don't have money to replace them if need be so I'm being careful, plus, I have that mother hen attitude lol, They're my babies! We caught crickets and after the first one realized they were tasty, they mostly eat what they find in the yard. Lol they stay close to me and/or my children and follow us, never wandering too far!

Last edited:
I have had chicks before many times actually lol but this is my first time with ducklings and they have a light but don't use it they are roughly a week old but it could be because they are living in my kitchen.

I find that when folks debate about heat, rarely do they include the actual temperature of the brooder or barn.

Heat matters. Ducklings are developing and need energy to build a healthy body. If they have to rob themselves of energy just to keep warm, I do not see how their health could be optimum. I know ducks can recover from alot of things, but why make them have to?

Too much heat is bad, too. I kept a waterproof thermometer in the brooder, at the level where the ducklings were, so I would know, and followed Storey’s guidelines.

Ok, so I have 3 Khaki and 3 Pekin ducklings, they are now 5 and 6 weeks old. When they were 3 & 4 weeks, I moved them into the cold garage on the concrete floor. I have kept a fresh towel on their floor daily, 30g bin for pond and no heat what so ever day or night. They are growing bigger and messier every week.

Why is everyone saying that ducks need heat like chicks do, this has proven totally false in my experience?
Virginia in May your temps probably range from low 60's at night to mid 70's to low 80's in the day, so that is just fine for a 4 wk old duckling, especially if there's no draft in their pen. The low temps at night may stress them some and they will huddle to keep warm, but I'm guessing the garage holds a certain amount of residual heat from the daytime. The outdoor evening temperatures would be a good deal lower than inside a building.

Virginia in May your temps probably range from low 60's at night to mid 70's to low 80's in the day, so that is just fine for a 4 wk old duckling, especially if there's no draft in their pen. The low temps at night may stress them some and they will huddle to keep warm, but I'm guessing the garage holds a certain amount of residual heat from the daytime. The outdoor evening temperatures would be a good deal lower than inside a building.
Very old thread, dude.

Back
Top Bottom