Ducks and lice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jul 5, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can ducks get poultry lice also? I was just out checking my chickens and found some lice on them and the ducks share their pen and coop. Can I treat them with sevin dust like I do my chickens?

2. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Thats what I do, i use the sevin. If I find they are scratching more then normal I dust them, I also dust the once a month as a precaution. Also I dust their pen every time I change the bedding to be on the safe side. I dont put alot of dust on them and I always watch their face, I just put a bit in my hand and kind of massage it into their feathers then I brush any excess off with my hands like they are a large powder puff.

3. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I haven't found any on my ducks, but my chickens had lice and I treated with ivermectine. Can it be used on ducks?
    I dusted the coops (hens and duck are housed seperatly)--do I need to put anything strait on to the ducks? They just hate being handled!

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I didn't find anything on my ducks wither but they are housed with the chickens so wasn't sure if I should treat them also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by