1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks and lice

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by pbjmaker, Jul 5, 2011.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    Can ducks get poultry lice also? I was just out checking my chickens and found some lice on them and the ducks share their pen and coop. Can I treat them with sevin dust like I do my chickens?

2. Kmoreau

Kmoreau Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Thats what I do, i use the sevin. If I find they are scratching more then normal I dust them, I also dust the once a month as a precaution. Also I dust their pen every time I change the bedding to be on the safe side. I dont put alot of dust on them and I always watch their face, I just put a bit in my hand and kind of massage it into their feathers then I brush any excess off with my hands like they are a large powder puff.

3. Niss

Niss Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    I haven't found any on my ducks, but my chickens had lice and I treated with ivermectine. Can it be used on ducks?
    I dusted the coops (hens and duck are housed seperatly)--do I need to put anything strait on to the ducks? They just hate being handled!

4. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I didn't find anything on my ducks wither but they are housed with the chickens so wasn't sure if I should treat them also [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by