Ducks and Water

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Tatianna, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Tatianna

Tatianna In the Brooder

May 8, 2013
    Northern New Hampshire
    Hi Everyone!
    I am getting ready to install the chicken fountain for my girls. I then realized that maybe my ducks wouldn;t be able to use it....Can my Pekin and Mallard drink from nipples?
    I have never tried anything like this, so I am curious. There is no reason for the fountain if they use it as well. I would have to either move the Ducks or keep open waters.
    I would appreciate any help out there.

2. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    I believe that many ducks figure it out, but without a way to wash their heads, there is an increased risk of eye, sinus and ear infections in ducks.

3. Quailsong

Quailsong Songster

Apr 20, 2013
    My ducks use the water nipples & actually hog it from the chickens & turkeys.

I've a new 5gal bucket I put out tonight which has 3 nipples under it (partially hidden). If anyone's going to use it first, it'll be the ducks. They take to water like...well, ducks!

4. gardenfairy

gardenfairy In the Brooder

Oct 15, 2012
    I imagine your ducks would use a water nipple fine for drinking. I haven't used those for ducks, but I've yet to give them to a species of bird that couldn't figure them out. However, your duckies would still need access to a more open source of water to keep their faces clean and their feathers in proper order.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by