Ducks are stupid

My much adored pet ducks are not intelligent. It's just true. They see a small hole in front of them. Investigate this hole with their bill. Since there are no delicious bugs there they continue on their walk, and fall right in the hole. Or how about when they see something on the ground? It could be food. They taste it. No, it's poop. Gross. They shake their heads and fling it out of their mouths. Five seconds later, repeat seven times.

I could go on and on. I have often wondered how ducks have ever survived, and assumed that wild mallards must be brilliant in comparison. I also suspect that I likely can't understand what duck intelligence is, and that intelligence comes in all shapes and sizes. But... Wow... My sweethearts sure seem to be deficient.

My much adored pet ducks are not intelligent. It's just true. They see a small hole in front of them. Investigate this hole with their bill. Since there are no delicious bugs there they continue on their walk, and fall right in the hole. Or how about when they see something on the ground? It could be food. They taste it. No, it's poop. Gross. They shake their heads and fling it out of their mouths. Five seconds later, repeat seven times.

I could go on and on. I have often wondered how ducks have ever survived, and assumed that wild mallards must be brilliant in comparison. I also suspect that I likely can't understand what duck intelligence is, and that intelligence comes in all shapes and sizes. But... Wow... My sweethearts sure seem to be deficient.
That first paragraph is pure gold. :lau

Like dogs, the dumbest ones are best.

This is Scuba, she really needs a bath, but she will have to wait until Monday as it is cold here.

Attachments

• 1F29B8BB-737B-4A6D-A1DA-225B8787053A.jpeg
    1F29B8BB-737B-4A6D-A1DA-225B8787053A.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 2
  • 8D7EC128-8B6E-4D59-8E05-72E2183257CA.jpeg
    8D7EC128-8B6E-4D59-8E05-72E2183257CA.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 3
I know, sad to watch.
That is just a behavioral enclosure. That is not where it lives. I highly doubt the duckling lives alone. There is a lot of rules and regulations on research and housing that is far more controlled to maintain proper health. You have to do things in a controlled environment to get reliable data.

Back
Top Bottom