Ducks are traumatized.

Tiger2

In the Brooder
Feb 21, 2015
Sunday the neighbors dog killed six of my 12 ducks. The survivors are still trauamatized. All they do is sit in the corner of the coop. When i come in they just huddle together. They want no part of comming outside. Will they ever get over it?

First of all, so sorry! that is terrible, has the neighbor taken measures to keep the dog secured? I lost a couple a few years ago to a neighbors dog.

Secondly, give it time they are traumatized just like you said, they will move on mine did... they were freaked for awhile and i kept them all penned prior to this they free ranged but didn't want to either...

Do ensure measures have been taken if a dog likes to kill they will be back they maybe a pet but on your farm they are a predator!

Good luck and welcome to the BYC!

The neighbors dog is gone now. They moved away on Sunday, the dog broke its cheap rope and instead of waiting for it to come ho m e they left. They came back after the damage was done.

A snake got in my pen and killed my female call duck mine stayed in the house for like 6 days then they started to come around. Sorry for your loss

I had our ducks out on Saturday and the neighborhood hawk did a flyover. It actually landed in some evergreens that were 60-65ft away. I didn't see him land, but my neighbor did. The ducks spotted him and the only way I know how to describe the noise they made, is a scream.

We ALL saw him fly away. He only shows up about once every 3 weeks. Still, we only have the ducks out when we're with them and someone always stays within 3-4 feet of them.

The female is already hyper vigilant but now they won't come out of their coop/run set up. If we can get them out, they go straight under it and hunker down. It makes me so sad! Their coop has a tarp over the roof and If I don't move it some during the day, they'd only be in shade.
1f615.png

My story is NOTHING compared to losing your ducks. Please don't think me dismissive of your loss. I just never realized how traumatizing simply feeling threatened could be for them. We only have a a pair of ducklings. (Which will likely change once the hubby sees why I've warned him about breeding season and a single duck for the drake. Separating them will drive him crazy) Ducks had never even been in my radar until my neighbor got some. I've lost my mind with how cute these guys are! It breaks my heart to see them so terrified. To add the trauma of losing a buddy?
1f61e.png
I hope all quiets down for you, sooner rather than later.

The coop wasn't quite done in this pic, but you can still see what I mean. They don't want to leave their run and if the do, ANY bird sound and they're either under or back in the house. They're not the happy, chatty lawnmowers they were before.
1f612.png

I had our ducks out on Saturday and the neighborhood hawk did a flyover. It actually landed in some evergreens that were 60-65ft away. I didn't see him land, but my neighbor did. The ducks spotted him and the only way I know how to describe the noise they made, is a scream.

We ALL saw him fly away. He only shows up about once every 3 weeks. Still, we only have the ducks out when we're with them and someone always stays within 3-4 feet of them.

The female is already hyper vigilant but now they won't come out of their coop/run set up. If we can get them out, they go straight under it and hunker down. It makes me so sad! Their coop has a tarp over the roof and If I don't move it some during the day, they'd only be in shade.
1f615.png

My story is NOTHING compared to losing your ducks. Please don't think me dismissive of your loss. I just never realized how traumatizing simply feeling threatened could be for them. We only have a a pair of ducklings. (Which will likely change once the hubby sees why I've warned him about breeding season and a single duck for the drake. Separating them will drive him crazy) Ducks had never even been in my radar until my neighbor got some. I've lost my mind with how cute these guys are! It breaks my heart to see them so terrified. To add the trauma of losing a buddy?
1f61e.png
I hope all quiets down for you, sooner rather than later.

The coop wasn't quite done in this pic, but you can still see what I mean. They don't want to leave their run and if the do, ANY bird sound and they're either under or back in the house. They're not the happy, chatty lawnmowers they were before.
1f612.png
Fortunately they are better today. I let out when i got home from work.They played in a mud puddle and swam in their pool. They sure seemed spooky. I just put them away a few minutes ago. i will probably let them stay out longer tomorrow.

I'm so glad to hear that. I'm also so sorry to hear that your neighbor's stupidity became your family's heartbreak! I hate heartless people! Glad they're gone!

Back
Top Bottom