Ducks ate plastic. Need recommendations

Duck_Newb

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
On their little foraging session today one of my 4.5 week old ducklings ate some plastic. One piece it ate was thin and flexible (kind of like saran wrap) smaller than my pinky joint. And another was what I assume was a piece from an old broken bucket about 1-2 mm wide and about 5mm long.

I'm not too concerned about the first piece it ate but the second. I'm not sure how old the piece was but I did find a couple pieces after bringing them back in. Those pieces broke pretty easily.

I've been monitoring both ducks and they seem fine. Their poop seems normal ranging from watery (they drank a lot today) to really dark green (switched to veggies and feed). Also noticed bubbly poop too but they've done that every so often since birth.

Looking for recommendations short of going to a vet unless it's really bad.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Do you have any mineral oil?

I might spread a few drops of that over the ones feed that you think ate the plastic, this will help expel the plastic faster, and "ease" it out along the way. Offer grit, and continue to monitor the one's feces closely. Weighing that one daily on a food scale for any sign of weight loss would not be a bad idea either. If he starts to lose weight, a visit to the vet would be advised.

Sorry to hear you're having problems.

Do you have any mineral oil?

I might spread a few drops of that over the ones feed that you think ate the plastic, this will help expel the plastic faster, and "ease" it out along the way. Offer grit, and continue to monitor the one's feces closely. Weighing that one daily on a food scale for any sign of weight loss would not be a bad idea either. If he starts to lose weight, a visit to the vet would be advised.
I don't have any mineral oil at the moment. Was actually planning to pick some up today along with some grit. Hopefully it'll be all I need. I'll give both my ducks some oil just to be on the safe side. Praying I won't need to go to the vet.

Also how much oil would you recommend putting in?

1-3 drops per 30 grams. NOTE, the only time you could administer this orally is if you go via tube, if you use a syringe in the mouth there is a high chance of lipid pneumonia, so just spread it over their feed or treats. Offer this once.

1-3 drops per 30 grams. NOTE, the only time you could administer this orally is if you go via tube, if you use a syringe in the mouth there is a high chance of lipid pneumonia, so just spread it over their feed or treats. Offer this once.
Thanks. I'll be sure to do that.

Not sure what breed you have, but a four week old Pekin is going to be somewhere around four pounds at four weeks. The dose would be as followed.

Four Pounds = 1814 grams

1814/30 grams = 60 x 0.05 (drop) = 3ml or so of mineral oil over feed.

Not sure what breed you have, but a four week old Pekin is going to be somewhere around four pounds at four weeks. The dose would be as followed.

Four Pounds = 1814 grams

1814/30 grams = 60 x 0.05 (drop) = 3ml or so of mineral oil over feed.
I own two Rouens. I think they should be about the same as a Pekin give or take a bit.

Back
Top Bottom