ducks attatcked by hawk or other large bird HELP

Missdawn25

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 15, 2014
Hello,

My ducks were out in the fenced in garden as usual when I heard a lound comoition and ran as quickly as I could outside to see wings horrid screaching and then a large brown hawkish bird fly away. My sweet little call duck went hobbling wing out leg barely moving away from the area. I quickly gathered all 5 ducks and brought them inside (they sleep inside) and little Hot Chocolate is sitting quietly on my lap now. I see an area where there appears to be a wound on her back and clean it it water, it there anything i can put on it? DO you think she will live? She is just sitting and looking around, not asleep, not quacking. It does not appear she can use her right leg or wing, but I am not sure. These are our first duck...help please!

hugs.gif

If it were me, I would get her into a sink or tub of lukewarm water deep enough to float in, and let her try to relax a bit. She may have serious injuries, she may not. Talk to her, try to get a feel for her state of mind (for lack of a better expression).

Watch how she moves, look for bleeding, swelling, anything out of the ordinary. You may see puncture wounds - those need to have the feathers right around the wound clipped down so you can see it and keep an eye on it, and so you can get medicine on it.

If you see any wound, rinse it well with saline solution or Vetericyn. I would put some electrolytes in everyone's water for a night or two.

She could just be in shock - keeping her warm, quiet, with plenty of fresh water available, and food but don't expect her to eat, not much, if she is shocky.

The hawk may return. More likely than not, I feel. I use netting over the tea garden - over the part they are in most of the time, anyway. Hawks take a close look at the runners also. Did not used to, but then they started coming in closer and closer.

Thank you for your reply. We did put her in the bath and now have her with us in a separate box with electrolyte water ( I will give it to the other saw well) and put some Neosporin on her wound. She is trying to sleep now and is putting a bit of weight on her leg she was not using. She keeps messing with the wound and I will trim those feathers around it after the children go to sleep so we can keep a good eye on her wound and rinse with saline.

May daughter ( who is 4) claims her as her own, so I hope she is okay. She appears to be breathing fine

Back
Top Bottom