Ducks bobbing their heads up and down at each other, is this normal?

anonymous99

Songster
Jun 20, 2021
I noticed that 2 of my drakes were bobbing their heads up and down at each other today. Is this supposed to be flirting behavior, or are they trying to show each other who’s boss? They’re only 14 weeks old. I’m certain that it wasn’t either of my hens bobbing their heads bc they were busy playing in the water. I know my ducks (not just the drakes) sometimes nipping at each other’s necks. Should I be concerned? I don’t have a video, unfortunately, but i could see it clear as day.

I noticed that 2 of my drakes were bobbing their heads up and down at each other today. Is this supposed to be flirting behavior, or are they trying to show each other who’s boss? They’re only 14 weeks old. I’m certain that it wasn’t either of my hens bobbing their heads bc they were busy playing in the water. I know my ducks (not just the drakes) sometimes nipping at each other’s necks. Should I be concerned? I don’t have a video, unfortunately, but i could see it clear as day.
They're flirting.

I find the head-bobbing adorable, and yes, drakes will do it with drakes and hens with hens as well as between drakes and hens. It is the most courtly courtship around. He bobs, she bobs, he bobs, she bobs, until they're bobbing together, and then he'll climb on top of her and do his things. (I was pretty dismayed that when actual breeding season rolled around, that the drakes dispensed with the head-bobbing and instead just chased the hens down, grabbed their necks, and climbed on. Alas.)

Back
Top Bottom