Ducks but no eggs šŸ¤”

dellamarie

Chirping
Jul 30, 2020
Ireland
Hi all,

I have 4 ducks I got just after Christmas. 2 Indian Runners & 2 Khaki Campbells. The Indians were 1 year old and the Khakis were about 8 months. They free range in my veggie garden. They are inactive during the day resting in the shade in at the edges of the garden and forage at night. So far I haven't found even one egg .... any ideas?

They have a duck house which they refuse to go near, they also have access to the greenhouse which again they won't go near.

I would look around where they sleep at night. Ducks tend to lay in the wee hours of the morning, and they like to hide their eggs. Look around the yard for possible nest locations. Another thing you can do is catch them at night and examine them. You can tell if a duck is laying by feeling her pelvic bones as you hold her. A duck's pelvic bones spread and become flexible when she is capable of laying eggs.

I would look around where they sleep at night. Ducks tend to lay in the wee hours of the morning, and they like to hide their eggs. Look around the yard for possible nest locations. Another thing you can do is catch them at night and examine them. You can tell if a duck is laying by feeling her pelvic bones as you hold her. A duck's pelvic bones spread and become flexible when she is capable of laying eggs.
Thank you for that .. Will try .... they are very skittish & won't let us near them... Will try and sneak up on them šŸ˜

Back
Top Bottom