Ducks changed my life.

You are so lucky to have found not only a place to house your ducks - but a job as well. so many of us cannot find employment that would bring so much enjoyment and satisfaction. Certainly working on the farm has changed your whole outlook on life. Your story is wonderful- proof of how animals can be so important in our lives for so many different reasons.

I loved the part about the secret goings on in the shed- the secret duck business and can well imagine you sitting there in the shadows spying on them to see what was happening. I love just sitting with mine too - outside on the grass and inside the shed at night too. It is such a great way to relax at the end of a day. they never cease to be a constant source of entertainment - what ever ducky thing they are doing.

I went from being a depressed woman with no real goals to a hard working farm girl learning something new everyday. My ducks made it possible for me to learn how to drive and work on tractors, how to build things, how to weld, how to care for cattle, how to have friends, how to take risks, and how to grow crops.

love.gif

I love your pictures and what a wonderful and very touching story. It is amazing what our animals do for us, and to think it all started with a complaining neighbor that put you on the path you are on now. A much happier and healthier path!

Quote:
love.gif

You've always been my duck hero... haven't checked up on the duck-ponix thread in a while. How'd that end up? Mine was a total disaster... too much poo
hmm.png

Good morning rainplace,

Thank you for your very delightful story.

We all live in a very complicated world with what seems like overwhelming problems around every corner. You seem to have taken your life to a place of hard work, challenges and reward for your efforts. You've done this and made a success of it. My hat is off to you, country girl.

Through your many words and photographs, I can hear the happiness in your heart. All of those special moments certainly brighten your days....that is easy to see.

I often think about how much better life might be, if we could turn the clock back to a simpler time.

Animals have always made this world a better place for me. My dog, a GSD named Falco, is my best friend and he adds great value to my life.

We started with chickens about 1 1/2 year ago. We have 26 layers. About 6 months ago, I added Muscovy ducks and Toulouse geese to our family. We have 4 geese and 5 ducks. These birds have in many ways added to my life. They are fun to be around and they seem to like living here. I expect to have many more in the future.

I got a kick out of your screen name, especially when I noticed that you're from NW Washington...... LOL... so am I. Your mention of being on an Island makes me suspect that you're not far from Port Angeles... this is where the rain is made and we send it your way. LOL

Anyway, I liked your story very much.... you brightened my day.

Cheers........

Last edited:
Quote:
Hah! In all the years I have used this name on the internet (15 years or so) you are the first to comment on it. You must be from where the rain comes. By the way, please take it back, we have some major flooding. I'm about an hour and a half from you, I could lasso up the rain and drive it back to you tomorrow
smile.png
I'll see if I can't get all the new ponds it has created to follow behind.

I agree with the "simple" life. I often get overwhelmed with pace the world moves at. Animals are definitely the cure for that aren't they?

Muscovies... I have a hen I need to rehome. Are you interested? She hasn't been integrated into the new flock and hangs out with two of her brothers (soon to be dinner) and they are causing mayhem. The new hens stay in the pasture where they belong but she and her brothers, being use to the crop areas, fly there every morning and keep trying to get in the greenhouse. As the days get warmer, I will have to open the greenhouse more and more and there is too much money in starts to let them have their way. She's free to a good home.

I upgraded the ducks to a stock pond, but I didn't upgrade my pump so it turned black
sickbyc.gif
I need a stronger pump to provide more oxygen. The old pond I have been using to grow duck food. I stocked it last year with rosy minnows and duckweed. Both reproduced like mad with no inputs on my part. Rosy minnows eat mosquito larvae. The ducks don't get to go in there. A new pump is on the way for the stock tank. Hawks and owls stalk my ducks so they have to stay in the covered run hence the two ponds.

Your problem may have been not enough plants in the system. The more plants the more nutrients get pulled out of the water. I overload my system with plants. In fall when plant growth starts to wind down, THAT is when the old set up got yucky.

Wow, you all are amazing. I'm brand new to all of this and my brain is overloaded with all the information all of you provide. Rainwater I loved your story, it have me warm fuzzies. Several of you write like professionals! Thanks for sharing!
hugs.gif

Loved your story. The description of the 'secret doings' was hilarious. If you have time, would you please write some more about your ducks? Or about anything, really - you are a great storyteller
big_smile.png

Such a cool story, I take it you and the farmers who you work for have gotten to be friends. It looks so beautiful there, so happy for you. Love the pictures. How many ducks and geese do you have on the farm?

Back
Top Bottom