Ducks, Chickens and Turkeys...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hunny, Jun 22, 2011.

1. Hunny

Hunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    (couldnt find a better fit for the forum topic, please move if seen fit)

Its been a long time since I've checked in here. But I'm ready to move upward in our little petting zoo (I'm kidding of course).

Anyways, as of July we will have 4 Ducks, Chickens (15 meat, 10 layers, and one Bantam Roo) and 1 Male Turkey (hopefully Christmas Dinner).

Before I ask all sorts of crazy questions. Does anyone else here do all three? What tips, hints, or advice can you give me?
    All of them are coming as day-olds in the same shipment. We rehomed, and culled our flock a few months ago because we moved across the country [​IMG]

Starting fresh here, coop, layout, fencing, etc. We have a pastured/fenced area that we will be utilizing. Please any tips, hints or advice accepted. Thank you!

Hunny

2. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Someone on here has all 3 I think and keeps them all together but I can't for the life of me remember who it is! Sorry. [​IMG]

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Are you referring to having them all free-range/live together? If so, then I have over 100+ animals that live and free range together with no problems. As far as advice. Just keep on eye on them to make sure that there is no bullying or fighting. Other than that, I don't see a problem. Well, at least I don't have any problems. Not sure if this is what you wanted to hear but that's my 2 cents worth. Below are pics of them eating.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    kuntrygirl was the very member I was thinking of!

5. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I run a mix of birds also and the feed is the issue. A layer mix is great for the hens but does not grow the turkeys as fast due to less protein. So I've gone to game bird grower and plenty of oyster shell available. So far, so good

6. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:[​IMG]

7. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:That's a great point to make. I also add 30% protein to the feed as well so that the turkeys can get their share of it.

8. Hunny

Hunny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Thank you very much for the replies! I happy to know that it can and has been done, and excited to give it a shot [​IMG]

Follow up question- do they all go into the same coop at night?

Thank you!

9. kuntrygirl

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:I have a lot of coops/houses/stalls for them to choose from. They pick where they want to roost for the night. It is best to make sure that all of them are locked in and secured at night. You don't want predators getting them.

10. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I have all 4 you didn't mention geese. My geese and ducks live together in one pen at night. Chickens all live in another pen at night and the turkeys...... well, they like to roost on top of a chicken coop and in a tree. They all free range together and everyone gets a long just fine. At night everyone goes to there own coops. All I have to do is lock everyone in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by