Ducks & Chickens???? Can they be together?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jaimslee4u, Feb 23, 2012.

1. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Hi All,

I have been a proud chicken owner for many years and would like to try to add a couple of ducks to my flock. Is this possible? Do they they typically get along?

I only want two. Can I have two females or is it better having one of each?

2. FriendlyFlyer

FriendlyFlyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2011
    You certain;y can keep them together! Many many people do it with no problems at all! I have a frined who keeps two ducks with his flock of nearly 20 chickens and they all got along just great. As far as male and female, I would say it's up to you. Do you want ducklings? if so, get one of each. You can still get one of each and not have ducklings, simply gather their eggs. It is totally up to you but YES you can keep them with chickens.

3. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    You can also read my article about mixing the two. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/duck-and-chickens-pros-and-cons

4. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    Thank you so much for your replies! I am super psyched for duckling season, ha ha!

5. Ravie

Ravie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    Greenfield, Indiana
    I keep ducks and chickens together. They even sleep in the same coop. I brooded them together, too. Mant people say that can't be done, but it worked well for me. At one point, my brooder had chicks from three different age groups, some guineas and some ducks! They all get along great. I do keep the water out of the chicken coop and have lots of roosting space for the chickens.

6. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I would avoid getting a drake if you can. My drake harrasses my chickens. For my female duck, she gets along great with all the chickens. My drake does as well, unless he is trying to mate them. My roosters do not like the drake, so they stay clear of him. Ducks are extremely messy, so if you have fancy chickens, I would suggest avoiding ducks. They like to nibble on the chickens when they are drinking at the same time, so my silkies can get quite messy. [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    X 2 ducks are slobs. Aoxa, I can't believe you have a pool in there with them.

8. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

It's emptied. My roof leaks in the barn, so it collects the drips too :p The barn is their daytime hangout in the winter. [​IMG] this is where it usually is.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  9. WVChickenFarmer

WVChickenFarmer Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Union, WV
    The lady I got my ducks from had her chickens, ducks and goose all together. So I don't see why not. I would keep mine all together. But my goose don't get along with my chickens. So I just have the ducks with my goose.

10. reelsvillechick

reelsvillechick New Egg

Feb 24, 2012
    Reelsville, IN
    I have 5 ducks with my flock. They were actually 1st. They all get along just fine and we had no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by