Ducks chickens haven’t lay since December

kirrty

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 3, 2015
Gold Coast
Hi everyone. I have 10 chooks and 7 ducks, 2 roosters and 10 drakes. My birds roam all day, ducks have access to a huge dam, chickens have lots of bugs ect to scratch up.
Up until December last year I was getting one egg a day from each girl come January the laying started to scatter to every second or third day then by the end of January none. I’m in Australia, SE Queensland, it has only just started to go colder during the day. I have wormed, dusted for mites, cleaned then pens very thoroughly more than enough times. I can’t figure out what is going on.
I have kept them in for multiple days to see if they had started laying else where and nothing. Google is no help either.
I have a few chooks that are going just on a year and most of my ducks are just on 18 months old. Can anyone shed some light? My neighbor hasn’t had any issues so I don’t think it’s the climate.

Since you are Down Under, I have to switch my thinking/timing, just opposite in seasons. So here are some possibilities, Your flock is anticipating autumn, and days are shortening, and there is a possibility of molt coming on.
What does puzzle me, is your neighbors are still going STRONG. :idunno
Is there a possibility that the DEVASTATING FIRES,,:hit may have affected things?
Then again,,, not your neighbors....
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:

Since you are Down Under, I have to switch my thinking/timing, just opposite in seasons. So here are some possibilities, Your flock is anticipating autumn, and days are shortening, and there is a possibility of molt coming on.
What does puzzle me, is your neighbors are still going STRONG. :idunno
Is there a possibility that the DEVASTATING FIRES,,:hit may have affected things?
Then again,,, not your neighbors....
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:highfive:
I did think maybe the fires/smoke may have effected them in some way but as I said my neighbors chooks are still laying.
I was thinking maybe the ducks are being over mated by the drakes which I may have to do something about but the chickens doesn’t make sense. The best box is quite high away from predators, we have the oddgoannas around in warmer months but they can’t get at the eggs very puzzling. I’ve heard wives tales of adding pepper to their feed but Google said it wasn’t good for ducks.:caf

Back
Top Bottom