Ducks didn't eat yesterday?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chooniecat, Mar 7, 2013.

1. chooniecat

chooniecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Have 1 WH duck and 1 call drake(the only ducks I have) and the duck started laying eggs appx. 1 month ago(shes 3 yo) and when I turned them out this a.m. their food was all there. ODD. They are active,talkative and was curious if possibly this is a hormonal thing because they think they will be having a nest? I don't want to worry w/o reason so if anyone knows if this happens during "mating" season???

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Is this a new food or the one they've had for awhile?

3. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Same food. and they're acting normal in yard today so I guess I will just assume it IS possibly a seasonal thing.Just shocked me as they are normally anxious for breakfast but......

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    have they eaten since you posted over 7 hrs ago?

5. ChristineR

ChristineR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    WA state
    Maybe something scared them in the night?

6. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    Only God knows if they were frightened by something.Many,many predators about and hasn't happened before. They did eat last night so will not worry. She is laying everyday and I can only assume thats stressful to her body.Why HE didn't eat is something I don't understand but maybe he follows her lead. He is a youngster and she is almost 4 yrs. old.

7. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    And now the drake is chasing a couple of the black Aust. pullets. The roo didn't scold him and the cockerel finally jumped on drakes back but it hasn't stopped the drake from chasing the BA pullets. Probably because I only have 1 duck but I can't get more ducks as am struggling to feed the "useless" animals now.

8. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'd separate the drake from the chickens if he catches them and mates them most likely he will kill them. and if you can put the drake and duck together away from the chickens he'll mate with the duck, it won't be so good for her because drakes are sex feinds but at least till you can afford to get another duck for him your chickens will be safe, or rehome your drake.

9. chooniecat

Mar 2, 2009
    central ohio
    TY-had him seperated yesterday afternoon and released him b4 dark(so I could, in theory, round up him/duck at dark) and they both took off and could NOT find them after dark. I was going out until 11pm calling,looking and no response. so I said some prayers and went to bed and this a.m. they came running from behind a bush(probably there all along, close to house)and he started his chasing of chick hens again. Managed to catch HIM(I hate animals sometimes!!!) but the WH girl was taking off for the food by chicken pen. Anyhoo- will NOT release him tonight and will just have my son help cowboy up the duck. The drake is a Call and very small so I can't imagin him actually hurting the chickens(he hasn't caught one so far and the cockerel/roo are at least chasing him off when he gets close) but will just keep ducks penned for a few weeks until ,hopefully, mating behaviors calm down. Its funny how he seems to only approach the BA pullets, possibly because they are young and he hasn't been discouraged by THEM(1 of the older hens kicked his butt) or maybe he thinks they're more attractive than the other girls(LOL).And I got him in the fall because the poor WH duck was alone and VERY distraught for weeks. They mate reguarly in their 2' deep pool and I thought all was well until 2 days ago. I MAY try to find an unwanted adult duck(JUST 1) and I have to remember that food costs go down slightly when grasses/bugs start to appear.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  10. Miss Lydia

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I'ts not the size of the duck but the difference in anatomy, ducks mate with drake penetrating duck, chickens do not mate this way. that is the reason it's so dangerous for the chicken hens. Maybe getting another duck would help him, I know it will help your duck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by