Ducks dipping bedding into water

Duck_Newb

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
I got two Rouen ducklings last week and been having a blast (most of the time) caring for them. I'm new to the duck world and would like any tips.

Anyway, on to the main point. Everytime I change their water they dart over and play. I understand they love water but they also love dipping the pine shaving bedding in there too. Is that normal?

I’m new to ducks too! My two Pekins are 8-weeks old! Ducks lack saliva glands and therefore need a little help swallowing stuff so they chase it down with water! I say ‘stuff’ because they’ll swallow just about everything, including their bedding! In fact, just today my duckies were trying to swallow a red glass pebble someone would line the bottom of a fish bowl with! Where did they get it? I have no idea, but I took it away. Don’t know if your bedding would be toxic if swallowed by duckies. I’ve been using straw for mine, which I don’t think they swallow but they will still nose around in it. @Isaac 0 or @Miss Lydia would know, I think!

Attachments

• 673D4EFE-514C-48E1-933D-961BB6848A99.jpeg
    673D4EFE-514C-48E1-933D-961BB6848A99.jpeg
    128.3 KB · Views: 7
Ducks are addicted to two things; water and making a mess. :lau
Sounds like normal behavior, dipping/tossing their "food" into the water. What sort of set up to you have to the water? Some use containers with holes just big enough for the duckling to put his head in. Personally I like them to have fun with the water so I put their bowl in a plastic crate. It allows them to splash around but prevent them from bringing any bedding into the water and vice versa.

Sounds like normal behavior, dipping/tossing their "food" into the water. What sort of set up to you have to the water? Some use containers with holes just big enough for the duckling to put his head in. Personally I like them to have fun with the water so I put their bowl in a plastic crate. It allows them to splash around but prevent them from bringing any bedding into the water and vice versa.
Much like yours. Just a water bottle with a hole cut in big enough for their heads. Looking into stuff I can use as a makeshift pool for them right now.

I’m new to ducks too! My two Pekins are 8-weeks old! Ducks lack saliva glands and therefore need a little help swallowing stuff so they chase it down with water! I say ‘stuff’ because they’ll swallow just about everything, including their bedding! In fact, just today my duckies were trying to swallow a red glass pebble someone would line the bottom of a fish bowl with! Where did they get it? I have no idea, but I took it away. Don’t know if your bedding would be toxic if swallowed by duckies. I’ve been using straw for mine, which I don’t think they swallow but they will still nose around in it. @Isaac 0 or @Miss Lydia would know, I think!
I use Pine shavings as bedding so they're good on that part as long as it's not Cedar (I think). But eating the bedding is normal from what I've been reading. I just wish they'd stop eating so much

Much like yours. Just a water bottle with a hole cut in big enough for their heads. Looking into stuff I can use as a makeshift pool for them right now.
This is my food and water area for ducklings week 1 to 4. They get to play in the water and splash around without everything getting wet. I increase the size of the waterbowl as they grow, and can have a bowl big enough for swimming too.
DSC_0012_mod.jpg

Eating bedding isn't good for them as it fills up their tiny stomachs instead of food. I use paper feed bags, and also towels in their sleeping area on top of the bedding for the first couple of weeks. Makes for easy daily cleaning too.

This

Back
Top Bottom