Ducks Disappeared??

New2Ducks2023

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2023
I have 3 Indian runner ducks.
Two nights ago something got into their coop and when we got up in the morning the ducks were loose but one was missing.

Fast forward to today. Let the remaining two out in the morning, checked on them a few hours later and they were in the kiddie pool. Looked out a few hours after that, didn’t see them but that’s not abnormal…sometimes they hang out where I can’t see them. Early afternoon, I went outside and they are missing. Checked all their usual spots, no where to be found. Is it possible they went looking for or heard their friend? Will they come back??? My husband and I searched our property, no luck. We also live on 3 acres and our property backs onto a river. We are fairly new to ducks and any help would be appreciated.

Can you walk along the river to see if they may have gotten in it took them downstream? is your property fenced? possibly a fox or coyote took them they have kits right now and will be looking for easy prey. We even had an article in our local paper about sightings of coyotes now because they are brave when they have young to feed and for everyone to keep their pets inside the fencing.
I doubt they heard their friend if the one has been missing for a few days already.

Can you walk along the river to see if they may have gotten in it took them downstream? is your property fenced? possibly a fox or coyote took them they have kits right now and will be looking for easy prey. We even had an article in our local paper about sightings of coyotes now because they are brave when they have young to feed and for everyone to keep their pets inside the fencing.
I doubt they heard their friend if the one has been missing for a few days already.
Our next steps are to take the canoe down river to see if we can find them. Unfortunately, we can’t see the embankment very well due to trees and such. Our property is not fenced. I thought about foxes or coyotes but felt it was pretty unlikely since the two went missing in the daytime. We are pretty rural but rarely see foxes, coyotes in the daylight. They free range during the day but are put in the coop at night.

They are around especially this time of year when feeding pups. I've seen both during the day.
I hope you find they have just floated down stream.
Please let us know.

Unfortunately we only found two but when we went out to retrieve them, we were down to one 😔. After hours of trying to get him, no luck. We will have to come up with another plan and try again tomorrow. We are open to any suggestions, unfortunately we can’t get close enough to get him with the net. We even tried to lure him with one of the ducklings…it definitely got his attention but not enough to rein him in.

Back
Top Bottom