Ducks eating rat poop??

LATEST UPDATE: Daphne seems to be doing better than she was earlier. Normally I take them out (Daphne and Dolores, my ducks) and let them run around but today I kept them in so they can rest, mostly just Daphne but they are a pair and Dolores wanted to make sure her sister was doing well by staying by her side all day and laying with her.

I just went and cleaned out their pen yet again and she was very vocal and active!! She seemed to be doing better so I let them out for a little bit to see if she would splash in the mud like usual and she did! I can tell she isn’t 100% but it’s definitely better than earlier when she wouldn’t even quack and didn’t want to walk.

I added a little apple cider vinegar to their water, and fed them and wanted to see if she’d eat and she came over and ate right out of my hand. I also waited a while until Daphne pooped so I could see if it looked normal and it looks like her normal poop.

tomorrow I am making a trip to get the calcium stuff from tractor supply and I will begin feeding her that, not entirely sure she’s egg bound or what but trying can’t hurt.

I want to thank everyone so much who has helped me, I was definitely in a panicked because I treat my ducks like my own kids, I literally call them my daughters so when one isn’t feeling well I instantly start to worry. I will update again in the morning! I’m praying she’s okay and I am able to wake up and hear her little quack to the full effect.
I'm so glad she's feeling better!

Having the calcium on hand is a good idea. Make sure to get some 1ml syringes, too. I keep it around because when I need it I don't want to be running around trying to find it - I just want to administer it immediately!

You sound like me with supervising your ducks' foraging. We also have a lot of predators so I follow my ducks around while they forage. 🙂

LATEST UPDATE: Daphne seems to be doing better than she was earlier. Normally I take them out (Daphne and Dolores, my ducks) and let them run around but today I kept them in so they can rest, mostly just Daphne but they are a pair and Dolores wanted to make sure her sister was doing well by staying by her side all day and laying with her.

I just went and cleaned out their pen yet again and she was very vocal and active!! She seemed to be doing better so I let them out for a little bit to see if she would splash in the mud like usual and she did! I can tell she isn’t 100% but it’s definitely better than earlier when she wouldn’t even quack and didn’t want to walk.

I added a little apple cider vinegar to their water, and fed them and wanted to see if she’d eat and she came over and ate right out of my hand. I also waited a while until Daphne pooped so I could see if it looked normal and it looks like her normal poop.

tomorrow I am making a trip to get the calcium stuff from tractor supply and I will begin feeding her that, not entirely sure she’s egg bound or what but trying can’t hurt.

I want to thank everyone so much who has helped me, I was definitely in a panicked because I treat my ducks like my own kids, I literally call them my daughters so when one isn’t feeling well I instantly start to worry. I will update again in the morning! I’m praying she’s okay and I am able to wake up and hear her little quack to the full effect.
Glad to hear she's doing so much better. I would defiantly get that Calcium Gluconate to have on hand. Since you've got girls I think it's something that should be in your medicine kit anyway. After opening the bottle keep it in the fridge.

I see that someone else told you to get a syringe and if you can get a catheter tip syringe that would be the best, actually I think a 3ml syringe would be best because it gives you a little wiggle room and might be easier to use. You won't be injecting with a needle but using the syringe to give it orally. Make sure you aim toward the DUCK'S RIGHT side of her mouth. You don't want her to aspirate by sending it down the middle. Here is a great link that shows you the inside of their mouth in detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rning-contains-reproductive-pictures.1296812/

Also, if she has laid an egg and seems fine now I wouldn't give it to her. I know one dose won't harm her but too much can affect the kidneys after a while. I am dealing with something similar and had been dosing my girls so much I began to worry about that.

Another thing you might want to pick up would be a bottle of Activated charcoal. You can get it in Walmart in the vitamin section of the pharmacy for $7.88. It's good to have in case they get into something that is poison. It can be used on humans, dogs, cats, and ducks to neutralize any kind of toxic substances they might get into.

Another essential item for your medical bag would be Baytril which you can get online easily. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
0926E2B5-70DF-46A8-8A83-F214EDF5792A.jpeg

Last edited:
Glad to hear she's doing so much better. I would defiantly get that Calcium Gluconate to have on hand. Since you've got girls I think it's something that should be in your medicine kit anyway. After opening the bottle keep it in the fridge.

I see that someone else told you to get a syringe and if you can get a catheter tip syringe that would be the best, actually I think a 3ml syringe would be best because it gives you a little wiggle room and might be easier to use. You won't be injecting with a needle but using the syringe to give it orally. Make sure you aim toward the DUCK'S RIGHT side of her mouth. You don't want her to aspirate by sending it down the middle. Here is a great link that shows you the inside of their mouth in detail.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...rning-contains-reproductive-pictures.1296812/

Also, if she has laid an egg and seems fine now I wouldn't give it to her. I know one dose won't harm her but too much can affect the kidneys after a while. I am dealing with something similar and had been dosing my girls so much I began to worry about that.

Another thing you might want to pick up would be a bottle of Activated charcoal. You can get it in Walmart in the vitamin section of the pharmacy for $7.88. It's good to have in case they get into something that is poison. It can be used on humans, dogs, cats, and ducks to neutralize any kind of toxic substances they might get into.

Another essential item for your medical bag would be Baytril which you can get online easily. Any questions please don't hesitate to ask!
View attachment 2709159
Thank you! I will be going and getting all of those!!

THIS MORNINGS UPDATE:
My girl seems to be doing good, I just went to let them out and she was awake and aware!

however, there was only one egg so I am going to give her the calcium today and give her warm soaks and hopefully she can pass the egg. I did notice sometimes there is only one egg but they will both act fine, could it be possible that one just isn’t a continuous layer like the other?

Back
Top Bottom