Ducks eggs to big to lay

Duck mummy

In the Brooder
May 26, 2022
Please can someone help my or give me any advice. I bought a new little girl duck for my flock she is 1 year old, she was egg bound with her first egg about 2 weeks ago and managed to help her and thankfully she was fine afterwards and back to normal. This morning I noticed her walking a bit funny, so I took her inside to examine her. There was another egg which I could she in the vent only when she was pushing so I followed all of the advice I had already read on here but when I examined her again I felt another egg behind it. After spending most of the day repeating the advice I took her to the vet. The vet managed to get the eggs out and she is now resting inside with painkillers and antibiotics to be taken daily. The vet told me her eggs were to big and she can't lay them and suggested putting her down as it could happen again. I am devastated as my feathered friends are my babies and I will do anything for them. Please can someone help. They are fed layers pellets and mixed brain along with veggies and grit and I have given them calcium tablets crushed in water.

Thanks for getting back to me. I im not so sure about anything invasive. They said her muscles might not be strong enough to pass the egg would you have any advice on how i could help with that.

Sure would be worth trying the calcium gluconate. TSC carries it. Calcium Gluconate works to cause the muscles to contract and helps push the egg out. 1 ml daily she might take it over a tasty treat. Mealworms or peas or chopped tomatoes. Whatever she loves.
What breed is your little girl?

Hi thanks very much for that, she is a kaki cambel if thats how you spell it. I will go to my local chicken feed shop this morning and get some. Thankyou very much i am desperate to try anything to save my wee girl.

Hi i couldnt get the cal glu i was given poultry spice, it is for birds it is a calcium powder with added ginger, and fenugreek and herbs.i have to sprinkle this on her food, she has had her meds and is currently chilling in her pool in the sun, i will keep you posted and will try other stores to get cal glu. Again thanks so much for your help its a great comfort to know there is people out there willing to help.
Please keep us updated on how she is doing and if the cal glu is helping.

Hi i couldnt get the cal glu i was given poultry spice, it is for birds it is a calcium powder with added ginger, and fenugreek and herbs.i have to sprinkle this on her food, she has had her meds and is currently chilling in her pool in the sun, i will keep you posted and will try other stores to get cal glu. Again thanks so much for your help its a great comfort to know there is people out there willing to help.
Hi just a wee update on my little girl fraya, we have had no sign of any eggs yet, she is fine just now and very happy. I have been giving her calcium in her water and her poultry spice i also bought her new food that she gets in her water. I have also been making sure she has a walk around the garden to build up her muscles, she does seem to enjoying a wander round. I have read that khaki Campbells can have large eggs with there first laying season so hopefully she will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom