DUCKS EXPERTS NEEDED

Saved By Grace

In the Brooder
5 Years
Apr 14, 2014
I have 2 drakes with 2 females. This is a two part question?
(My ducks are KC)
I have placed 6 eggs in incubator and I'm wondering if they will be fertilized.

1. Do drakes mate all year round?
2. Are they fertile all year round?

well i dont own ducks but i do know about all poultry. Ducks will mate mostly in the spring and sometimes will mate later on. After 6 days in the incubator you should know if he is doing his job. Also i found when female ducks lay eggs the males do start to have them fertilized

well i dont own ducks but i do know about all poultry. Ducks will mate mostly in the spring and sometimes will mate later on. After 6 days in the incubator you should know if he is doing his job. Also i found when female ducks lay eggs the males do start to have them fertilized
hiddenacres, can you elaborate on your last statement please?

well ducks only lay in the spring of my knowledge and the males normally are fertilizing eggs all year round like a male duck will mount all year but the hens will only lay the eggs when they feel they can safely and successfully raise a family. The eggs should be fertilized in this case. I would advise not using the first few eggs of the year as they normally don't hatch well.

I have not tried hatching eggs, but my ducks lay all spring and summer and into fall. They mate all spring and summer. The muscovies I have now are definitely mating. One hen was laying, but after injuring her foot, she has stopped for now. The Pekins I had last year laid from August into October when I gave them away. They also were mating all summer.

Many ducks will lay year round, taking a break in the darker winter months. I had over 300 eggs one year from one of my runners.
I have no males, but crazy hormones are happening in the spring and all that mating going on in the spring will typically result in the ducks laying fertile eggs.

I am not positive, but I do not think ducks are seasonal as far as fertility is concerned.

Back
Top Bottom