Ducks eye is turning white and has some discharge

Discharge, especially white, is a good indicator of bacterial infection. I almost wouldn't suspect a respiratory infection though since both eyes aren't affected but it could explain why the duck is secluding himself or it could just be from the fact that it's lost vision of that one eye and is having trouble balancing and getting around. Bacterial infections spread very easily so I would monitor your other ducks for similar symptoms. Depending on what this actually is will depend on if it's permanent or not. If it's an infection and you've caught it quick enough there's a good chance it's reversible other wise this duck has probably lost vision of this eye. At this point eye washes and antibiotic ointment are your best bet. If the drainage doesn't get better in 48 hours after using the antibiotic ointment you should consider injury. How old is the duck? Is it still eating and drinking? If it's a young duck you can rule out any type of cataract for the opaqueness. If the duck is eating and drinking per usual you can probably rule out any type of systemic infection.

Thank you for your help! I separated him in his own pen with water, food, and treats (mealworms). He’s not very old, I got him as a duckling in early July. He’s still drinking and actually sitting in his water pan with his head up.

Thank you for your help! I separated him in his own pen with water, food, and treats (mealworms). He’s not very old, I got him as a duckling in early July. He’s still drinking and actually sitting in his water pan with his head up.
Good to hear, anymore updates? For some reason I don't get notifications sent directly to me anymore and unfortunately I don't check up here that often.

Back
Top Bottom