Ducks flown coop!!!

Jrthompson

Hatching
6 Years
May 1, 2013
Australia
So after three days of being secure in a coop and run I decided to let my pair of ducks out to free range in my yard! I have no houses behind me, just a gazillion acres with cows and what I would call "duck paradise" consisting of dams, luscious grass and a waterway! My back fence is 1200mm approx high! I was told they wouldn't get over that and the fence around my run is that high too! I came home today to find them in "duck paradise" looking happy I must say! But I'm a bit worried they may not come back and fall victim to predators! I have left the coop door open and will be checking regularly tonight to see if they return!
Have I done the right thing by leaving the door open?
Has this happened to anyone ? If so do you have any tips on what I should do?
I am happy for wher they are now, but I don't want them harmed !!!

welcome-byc.gif

What kind of ducks are they and how old are they?
What is your feeding protocol and when do you give them treats?
What type of fence do you have? Are there any gaps in it especially along the bottom?

I think they are Rouen ! 6 months old! The guy I got them from said they come at sunset with there pellets bing shaken in a tin ! I done this but to no prevail they looked super happy to just cruise around swimming and foraging! I have colourbond fence 6ft high along sides with 1.2 m high wire fence at back overlooking (duck paradise) I only got them on Monday so no really cemented feeding protocol!

Have they returned yet? Rouens shouldn't be able to fly so they must have just wandered off checking out their new surroundings. I do hope they have returned home. Once you get them back in their enclosure you might try feeding them in the morning and taking their feeder away. Feed them again in the afternoon, all they can eat. I would do this for about a week before letting them out then keep the same routine. Mine eagerly go in their pen at the afternoon feeding time. Once in a while, I have to through some lettuce in so they will go in but that is rare.

Keep us posted and best of luck!

Back
Top Bottom