Ducks for fly control: Muscovy vs Khaki Campbell

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by rosemaryfromoregon, Dec 25, 2010.

1. rosemaryfromoregon

rosemaryfromoregon Out Of The Brooder

Nov 29, 2008
    Eugene, OR
    Are Muscovies really superior for fly control or would Khaki Campbells be nearly are effective. I would like to try a few ducks for fly control but if there is not too much difference in their fly controling abilities I'd prefer a breed that would given me more eggs.

Thanks.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2010
  2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I had a female mallard who was a predator fly catcher. She was even better when I had wet burlap hanging, which the flies liked.

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    My best fly catcher was my runner. The Welsh Harlequins do OK, but they still attract more than they eat [​IMG]

4. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

Yes, overall I would not rely on any duck as a fly control method. Weed and bug control in the lawn anytime. I still have fly traps hanging when they are back in season. They get pretty bad up here in the Oregon mountains. My siding always gets several shades darker when they are sitting there. They show up in the millions and that was already like then before I had ducks. The ducks did not have an impact on the fly population. Hate those flies, they are really disgusting.

5. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

In reading about natural pest control for cattle, I found out that using 4 muscovy per head of cattle is great for fly control. They break up the manure piles and also groom the cattle...

6. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    Actually, the first time I ever saw Call ducks was on a Michigan horse farm where they were used for fly control...they wandered in and out of the barns sifting through manure and eating fly larvae and eggs. I saw maybe one fly in the barns the whole time I was there, and the guy had quite a few horses, some tied in cattle-stanchion type tie stalls, which is usually when they make the most mess and have the most flies humming around.

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    I have swedish and muscovies and both are able equal in fly catching.

8. bargain

bargain Love God, Hubby & farm

Apr 13, 2008
    Bowdon, GA
    Our pekins are great for fly control...There are none where the pekins are! I didn't realize hwo graet ducks were for this until we got our first ones! Absolutely fabulous!!! Have a blessed evening. Nancy

9. elizabethbinary

elizabethbinary Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:FOUR per cow? Wow! The farm up North has 200 cattle. I'm trying to imagine it with 800 muscovies!

I love my muscovies, I think they're the sweetest of all the ducks. Except for when the males get excited around animals that aren't ducks.

10. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life Premium Member

A friend told me this about fly control. In my duck and chickens coops I fill a baggie with about 20 pennies then fill with water about half way close up and hang in their house I have one in each. And it really works to keep the flies and bees out. But don't ask my how. The ducks and chickens take care of them outside. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by