Ducks for our pond(s) question

gritsar

Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!
14 Years
Nov 9, 2007
SW Arkansas
Since my SO is growing very weak on the whole keeping chickens thing...first I could have a 'few', then it was '10-12', now it's 'you'll probably want to let them breed too', I'm thinking of going for ducklings while his defenses are down. Here's my question:

I know that I would have to keep the ducklings close to the house and have their own little pen/wading pool while they're small, but after they are grown could they be taught to go to our larger pond (about 1/4 mile from the house) and return to their pen at night, especially if I went to get them and walk them home or would they want to be down at the pond full-time? I am worried about predators at night. We have a smaller pond that is within view of the house, but it's always kinda yucky from the cows doing whatever it is that cows do in water.
I can't help but look at our pond and think how empty it looks without some ducks.

P.S. We do have egrets that spend some time on the pond. I'm guessing the ducks and the egrets would be okay together.

i dont' see why you couldnt' try.

the ducks probably wouldnt' mind the cow water to be honest. here the duck and geese LOVE sludge and mud. so probably cow water wouldnt' kill them.

but GO FOR IT. gosh. i do love waterfowl. that might be my favorite kind of bird. but shhhhhhh this is a chicken board. lol.

the only thing i would say is that remember that boys can be like roosters so once they are grown make sure you don't have too many. i hear that if it is a small flock, you can do one/one but when it gets bigger you should have quite fewer boys. not sure what the number is though that tips it.

It is possible to lose freeranging mallards. My grandma never had a covered pen. When wild mallards would fly over hers would join. If you want ducks that have a mallard look that cannot fly rouens are an alternative. I think they will love the cow pond. They may even mess it up worse than the cows.

It would be best if you had an encloser near the pond. Ducks get use to the pond and will for a while come back to their normal encloser but, after a while tho they get to where they just want to stay at the pond. This is from my experiences with my ducks. If you don't want to lose them to predators I would try to have an encloser as close to the pond as you could. Still they might get to where they want to stay on the pond.

I would recomment Indian runners, Khakis or Muscoveys. I have about 60 in my yard of these ducks, and they are awesome. They are so fun to watch and they love mud puddles and have found the little creek in the backyard. I haven't lost any to predator, just to my dog that was tied up at the time and the ducklings got to close to her, she had to go, I couldn't loose any more babies, it was too awful. Good luck with the ducks!

Quote:
That was going to be my other option. I could build an enclosure down there by the pond for them and just shut them up at night. I like the idea of them being down at the big pond vs. the little one and them being down there would give me the motivation to make my daily walks to the pond and back each day....something I need/try to do every day anyhow.

Thanks for the replies.

My sister has two ducks that she keeps on her pond and in my experience they go where the food is, so as long as you only feed them in their inclosure they will probably come back to it. My sister feeds her in the same place (away from the pond) at the same time, and they always meet her there. The only thing is I'd think they'd take the closest pond, even if it is icky, from the cows!

"I'm thinking of going for ducklings while his defenses are down. "

yuckyuck.gif
Grits! Hope it works out for you!

Hi, Good luck I hope you can find some nice little ones.
Try a breeding pair.
I like the idea of an enclosure by the big pond, it would need to be strong to protect against preds.
You can have nice mallards but clip one wing to prevent flyoffs, and have a little canoe in case you need to go out and round them up!!
My ducks sleep on the pond though I have a really safe pred proof backyard.
Show us your duckies when you get them!, perhaps you can give someone your new ducks as soon as you buy them and get them to deliver them back to you as a christmas present!!

Quote:
I like your way of thinking! It's almost as sneaky as mine! Got my McMurray catalog today. I only let him think that I am concentrating on the baby chickens pages!
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom