Ducks for stockdog training

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by brandywine, Apr 3, 2009.

1. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Are there any stockdog trainers out there who use ducks for dog training?

I have a flock of two-week-old Khaki Campbells, and a bunch of questions on training duck management.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That's where I got 3 of my original 4 ducks. They were being used to train herding dogs. Sorry I can't be very helpful, but I am curious about their "early life"

[​IMG]

3. LoupGarou

LoupGarou Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2008
    My collie's breeder uses Khaki Campbells for training pups and I am getting a few ducklings in May for that purpose. I found a website that I still have to read all the way through (here: http://www.ourpetpages.org/advducks.htm ), and when I start herding lessons again in May, I'll be sure to have plenty of questions for her, I'm sure. Honestly, I liked the birds that she used for training--they weren't the calmest birds in the world, but they seemed gentle and easy to handle.

4. lorieMN

lorieMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2008
    montevideo,MN
    I used to train stockdogs,havent for about 4 years but I may be able to help,I used runners myself..and have aussies..if you are wondering about duck managment..pretty much the same as any other ducks..when your not working them..

5. goosedragon

goosedragon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Central NC
    The theory is that Runners were bred for herding. The upright stance let them make fast progress between the village and the fields that they would search for food. Duckgirls usually didn't have dogs to help herd.

6. brandywine

brandywine Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    Western PA
    Thanks for the Linda Rorem article; I'll probably need to just write to her directly. We've crossed paths many times in the breed conservation world.

My questions have to do with taming/training the ducklings so that they wear to the handler, like sheep. My ducklings are easy to herd, but much more afraid of people than dogs. It will be useful to me to have knee-knocker ducks. I guess for ducks they would be shin-knockers.

Here's a photo of my eldest English shepherd working Linda's ducks, about five years ago when I was visiting California:

http://picasaweb.google.com/HHoulahan/Pip#5320486894114667538

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by