Ducks from last spring not laying yet?!PLEASE RESPOND!

NYRIR

Crowing
13 Years
May 13, 2010
Petersburg,NY
I am surprised to read that ducks lay between 17-25 weeks.I got 3 mallards last spring and 3 Cayugas shortly after.NO EGGS YET!There is one male (mallard) and 5 females. They have a 18x25 foot run and inside the run is a plywood box that they sleep in at night.They go in at dusk on their own.They have constant feed and water.Am I possibly doing something wrong?? Has anyone had this happen before?

Last edited:
While some ducks will lay as young as that- other factors need to be considered. Breed- climate and the amount of day light hours can all contribute. Some ducks are much more season layers- and will only lay in spring and summer. Its certainly not too abnormal for them not to be laying yet. Wait til the weather starts to warm up and the day light each day is getting longer. You should soon see some eggs after that.

Ok...Thank you! I was thinking it should be soon but wasn't thinking about the daylight hours.The chickens had started laying before it got darker earlier.The ducks have no heat lamp either like the chickens do.I can't wait to try some duck eggs!
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom