Ducks haven’t laid any eggs in over 2 weeks

George678

Chirping
May 23, 2021
Hi my 10 month old Aylesbury ducks haven’t laid any eggs in over 2 weeks and I’m starting think they might possibly be eating their own eggs is this a common thing? They have plenty of food and grass and straw in the coop so I don’t why they would but I’ve seen them pecking at there eggs when they first started laying

Hi my 10 month old Aylesbury ducks haven’t laid any eggs in over 2 weeks and I’m starting think they might possibly be eating their own eggs is this a common thing? They have plenty of food and grass and straw in the coop so I don’t why they would but I’ve seen them pecking at there eggs when they first started laying
Aylesbury are a meat duck, and in my experience it's not unusual for meat ducks to take a couple weeks off at a time. Mine usually quit when it's very hot, very cold, and sometimes in between seasons when weather is taking a drastic turn.

My ducks have never been egg eaters. I also haven't heard of that being a problem with ducks. I had one duck hen bust open some eggs once and it was out of frustration because she got stuck, she didn't even eat the shells. I imagine you'd be finding lots of shells since they're more difficult to eat, especially since ducks produce hard shells and thick membranes. If you really suspect that they're doing that I'd keep more oyster shell around and give them a bit of cat food mixed in with their pellets.

It's not very common, and I think you'd eventually see signs of egg eating, such as egg whites or yolk left on the ground.
Honestly I think ducks just struggle to crack the eggs like chickens can. Their bills are too rounded.
Mine eat their eggs when I crack it for them, mainly the shells, but without it being cracked they're unable to get into it. They've never pecked one open without my help, just can't.

I imagine they're just taking a break, as Aylesbury aren't great layers, I'd just appreciate their break and soon enough they'll be back to laying. It's healthy to take a break now and then

Back
Top Bottom