Ducks in DENVER, CO

WaddleWagon

In the Brooder
Jul 11, 2016
Hi all, reaching out from the Denver area!!
I am new to owning ducks and I wanted to pick some brains for those that have and reside in CO.
My 2-Pekins are 3 weeks old now, my how fast they have grown too! I have some questions though regarding the weather in this area and when I can really put them outside since boy are they getting stinky! and my bathtub is starting to get VERY small for them.
I have heard different opinions all from 4 weeks to 3 months.
We have a coop in the back yard, secure house with a run. It is about 72" long, is that big enough for the both of them once they are full grown? I hear conflicting measurements on that as well.

Any information on when they can permanently go outside or at least go outside for the daytime would be great as well as your coop/housing areas you have for your ducks.

Much appreciated, I am eagerly awaiting responses
Thanks
Stacy

Ducks are much hardier than chickens. We have two day old hatchlings running around outside already like it's cool. Momma duck keeps a close eye on them and huddles them up if they look like they're getting chilly. I'd let your ducks outside during the day. And you could put them in the coop if you have a heat lamp you could put in with them.
Welcome to BYC and hello from an old Colorado Native!! Moved out this way from Colorado Springs about 6 years ago. Sure do miss it!!

Your ducks can go outside now. It is plenty warm during the day for them.
You can also leave them in their house at night - depending on temps, you might still need to provide a little extra heat for them.

Thanks for the replies I appreciate it. Its nice to know I have this site for all questions/answers should I need it!!

Back
Top Bottom