Ducks in Office Pond

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lovemy6hens, Oct 10, 2014.

1. lovemy6hens

lovemy6hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    I saw ducks this morning in a landscaped pond between two office buildings. They didn't look like wild ducks, although I know hardly anything about ducks. These were very pretty white ducks. I looked around and didn't see a safe place for them to sleep at night, but didn't search. Would they be safe at night without a shelter?

2. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Someone probably dumped them, happens at our local council pond all the time. They seem to do okay without a house as such though apparently the eels in the pond eat a lot of the babies.

I think it the diet of a dumped duck is the bigger problem. All that bread isn't a balanced diet.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2014
  3. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    Is this a place you go by pretty frequently where you've never seen ducks before? If so, ducks are sometimes intentionally placed in ponds at office complexes because they make the area more attractive to employees and visitors. What appps said is also unfortunately common all over the US as well. I guess all you could do is stop at the office complex to see if anyone knows anything about them.

Since you said you hardly know anything about ducks, I have to ask if you're sure they're ducks. I can't think of any wild ducks that are solid white, so I'm wondering if they might suddenly have appeared on the scene because they're migratory geese.

4. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    I did a search for "white duck" and another for "white goose" and found they look like ducks. The place is near my house, but I've only been in the complex once. It's a nicely landscaped pond with a gazebo and blue dyed water. Definitely looks even nicer with the ducks as an accent, but I think that's a very bad idea for numerous reasons.

Should I contact the building manager? To me, it seems like something that should be done but am unsure. I'm grateful to have the ducks section on BYC! I would have had no idea who to ask.

5. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    Blue dyed water?... Really? Wow now I've heard it all lol

6. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Really! It looks a little strange, but probably photographs nicely.
    How did eels get in the pond, appps? I think I've now heard it all now too! I saw on your profile you're in Australia. Is that common?

EDIT: I meant to ask if eels in ponds are common in Australia and not if being on BYC and from Australia is common. :)

7. appps

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    I thought everybody had eels in their ponds lol

At one park you can see the eels swimming under the bridge sometimes and I remember at the other when I was a kid 30 years ago they used to have an annual eel fishing comp. I'm not sure how these got there originally but eels will travel over land I think.

My parents have a creek below them that also has eels, and we used to swim at a creek and now and then we would see an eel which always sent us screaming out of the water lol. just always assumed if it had water it had eels :).

8. JadeComputerGal

JadeComputerGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2014
    West Chester, PA, USA
    It won't hurt for you to ask the building manager or maintenance crew. They're usually the ones who look after ducks that were brought in intentionally. If they really are ducks, I'm a little concerned about dyed water. That could be harmful, depending what they're using to dye it. I've heard of people dyeing artificial ponds but have no idea what you'd use to dye one. If they're migratory geese, which I still suspect based on color and that this would be the right time of year for it, it might be difficult to get rid of them if that's where they've decided they want to be for now.

9. lovemy6hens

Nov 4, 2013
    Central Texas
    Thank you, JadeComputerGal. I'll contact them after the holiday. It seems like a bad situation, especially if they're migratory geese with the dye as you stated. I really appreciate the advice!

appps, your story is too funny! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by