Ducks killing duckling

chezza

Hatching
6 Years
Jun 14, 2013
We found our two month old duckling dead this morning. She was perfectly fine before, no illness or injury. We have two female crested ducks and a male Indian runner duck. This baby was theirs and they had been very protective over her. She was fully grown. Is there a reason the others would suddenly kill her? They have a house to themselves so I don't think space is an issue. Any clues?

Drakes will sometimes kill them, but that's usually when they're small, not what's basically full grown. Are you sure she wasn't injured, like maybe her neck broken or something else that's not apparent just from a visual inspection? Is there a chance she could have gotten into something toxic? Also, I know you said no illnesses, but ducks are pretty good at hiding illness. With some of them, the duck can be almost gone by the time you might notice anything is wrong.

I've had two Indian runners die over the past year, where they stop walking and eating and drinking. it seems that they get tired really quick. she would just walk for about ten feet then just sit down in the grass. Then i would have to carry her the whole way across the yard.

I've had two Indian runners die over the past year, where they stop walking and eating and drinking. it seems that they get tired really quick. she would just walk for about ten feet then just sit down in the grass. Then i would have to carry her the whole way across the yard.

Since you probably don't have the previous corpses, if it happens again you might want to contact your government's agricultural agency to see about getting a necropsy so you can find out what's going on.

Since you probably don't have the previous corpses, if it happens again you might want to contact your government's agricultural agency to see about getting a necropsy so you can find out what's going on.
I I forgot the one is sick but the other died, but i will look into it.

i don’t think the drake would have killed her. when my girls were like two months, the boys would stick with them all day and protect them from any wild ducks that flew in

Back
Top Bottom