Ducks like the Chicken Coop Better...Suggestions?

Lolliegee

Songster
11 Years
Dec 8, 2008
Cottage Grove, OR
So, I finally finished my duck house and now my ducks don't want anything to do with it.

We had a predator attack several weeks back, so put the ducks in the coop til their house was built. It only took them two days to start going in the coop on their own. Totally surprised me, since they had to go up a ramp and I had read so much about how ducks don't like to go in very much.

Since they took to the coop so well, I had hoped they'd love their new house. Nope. 4 or 5 nights in a row now, we've had to go out and move them all by hand into their house.

Anyone have ideas on how to encourage them to go to their own house at bedtime?
hu.gif

Sorry, I can't help you here. Mine would be back in the chook shed if I let them. Though they now go into their duck house they like the chook shed better & seemed to take their cue fm them on when to go in and whether or not their was something to be worried about. It may be that they felt safe w/the chooks after the attack & just need to get used to their new place.

Maybe you're right. They definitely go in at the same times as the chickens do. Last night the rooster started crowing at us when we came to get the ducks out. Thought that was kinda funny. But maybe they say him as a protector to them.

We'll keep trying. The coop is not big enough for all of them. Any other suggestions?

i subdivided part of my henyard for my muscovy momma + 3 ducklings and then put my new chicks on the other side. both had coops... they switched sides today.. sigh.... i think the poultry is crazy ....

Hello, What kind of predator attacked ?
Was the old duck run covered on top ?
Predators will almost always return to the scene...
That's why your duck's are afraid to go there. They sense Danger.

The predator's are probably there at night. you need to watch for them.

Last edited:
I actually anticipated this when my son (finally) came to build a new poultry house for me. The chickens will be moved into the new one and the ducks can stay where they're used to being.
When it's ready I'll take the chickens over to their new house after they've settled into their old one. They will have the same nesting boxes and roost poles so I'm sure they'll get used to it in time.
The ducks are pretty good about being gently herded into the henhouse by now and I don't want tupset them or quack them up.

Back
Top Bottom