Ducks not laying, it's driving me quackers

MARGOTJEMIMA

Hatching
Sep 7, 2016
Hello,

I know there are many, many posts about why ducks are not laying but I'm still struggling, I have a Cayuga and a Cherry Valley Pekin. They free range all day in the garden/pond and take themselves to bed/coop each night. They eat plenty of layers pellets and poultry grit each day, we don't quite know their age but have been told its under a year old. Margot (the green Cayuga) preens herself quite a lot could that mean a form of mite?

I've searched the garden high and low and there are no hidden nests or rogue eggs.

Any advice would be wonderful.

Thank you very much

If they are under a year old, they might wait until next Spring to start laying. That's what all my Cayugas did anyway. It's pretty late in the season for ducks to start laying now.

My girls have not started laying either at 5 months and by now I am thinking they may not lay until next spring. I believe preening a lot is normal for ducks. They have to do it to waterproof their feathers. Won't hurt to check for mites but I wouldn't be too concerned about it.

Thanks for the replies, I hope I don't have to wait another year, Jemima the Pekin is supposed to be a prolific layer but nothing from her yet either.

If you got them from someone else it takes them awhile to become accustomed to their new environment. I would also reccomend giving them oyster shell. My ducks lay twice as many eggs as my chickens. Just be patient and they will start laying.

This is my second year raising ducks and Cayugas.

My year old ducks didn't start laying until December. They hatched in May.

Only one of this year's hatchlings have started laying. She was 4 months and 1 week old. Her hatch mates are showing signs that they're sexually maturing.

Back
Top Bottom