Ducks not liking water?

MallardDuckling

Songster
7 Years
Apr 29, 2012
Montgomery County, Ohio
My ducklings use to love water. They've been in several different containers and were hesitant at first with each new container, but would soon jump in.

I've upgraded them to their pool, which is what they will be using when they are older. I filled it a few inches deep so they could get use to it, they did great. We have since filled it all they way and now they really don't get in it.

Friday, they got in and swam around. Saturday and Sunday they weren't able to get in it. Yesterday I took them out, and they wouldn't even get in. I put them in the water, but they would just swim out. It was really hot yesterday, and I was shocked they didn't want in the water. They really wouldn't even go near it. I tried to get them to follow me in, nothing, I splashed water at them which usually they will play in, then jump in, nothing. I even got one of their favorite treats, mealworms, still nothing.

My Dad has been joking around and saying my Ducks think they are chickens. It's funny, yet it's frustrating.
barnie.gif

Any tips or suggestions on getting them to like their new pond?

Last edited:
I have lots of ducks and they hardly go in water or use the pool. Animals are funny creatures just becuase we think or want them to act/do certain things doesn't mean they are going to

We have magpies. When they were babies we put them in a small black plastic wallpaper trough. And they loved it. Then when they were one, we bought blue kiddie pools and they wouldn't go near them. Finally when they turned two, they decided the pools were great and started using them. Not all the time, but regularly. We wondered if maybe it was the bright blue color that was freaking them out.

They are odd creatures.

Maybe they are not sure because of how big the pond is. I had them outside and they walked away from the pond and played on the back porch. One of them got into the dog's water bowl and played around. They seem fine in smaller containers then a bigger pond.

Back
Top Bottom