Ducks not understanding house/coop?

RosemaryDuck

Crowing
Dec 15, 2020
Florida
So, my ducks have been outside (full time) in the run for 2 days now. They have a covered house/coop with fresh straw on one side of the run and then the actual run and pool. To get into the house there is a 1 inch lip (with a wide ramp). I've shown them the ramp and also placed them in the actual house/coop several times, but they don't seem to understand. They stay in the pool or lay around in the run, even at night. Is it the lip of the coop that's scaring them? Any advice?

Is the coop elevated ? I ask because you mention a ramp. Ducks are frequently reluctant to use a ramp.
It's not elevated. It sits flush with the ground, but there's a piece of wood to hold the doors on that is about an inch high (the lip). Should I try leaving them in the house/coop and let them figure out how to use the ramp? I'm worried they'll just get stuck 😥.

Maybe a picture so we can see exactually what your talking about. Herding is a very good idea but if there is something that is causing them not to want to go inside maybe we can pick it out. Of course being outside all night is something they may love but unless your pen is really secure they are at the advantage of predators.

It's not elevated. It sits flush with the ground, but there's a piece of wood to hold the doors on that is about an inch high (the lip). Should I try leaving them in the house/coop and let them figure out how to use the ramp? I'm worried they'll just get stuck 😥.
A picture would sure help.

Maybe a picture so we can see exactually what your talking about. Herding is a very good idea but if there is something that is causing them not to want to go inside maybe we can pick it out. Of course being outside all night is something they may love but unless your pen is really secure they are at the advantage of predators.
I'll try to get some pictures in a bit. I think I'll try the herding that everyone is mentioning and see if they catch on. I just know it can't be comfy laying in the dirt instead of in a nice warm straw bed!

i could never leave mine outside and when I first started with ducks I had to herd them inside of an evening. I used 2 bamboo poles but mop handles broom handles or even your arms spread out can work to guide them. Just walk slow, usually once they get the idea they will start to go in on their own with a few words like bed time and walking behind them, to them just up and going in on their own. Ducks are really creatures of habit.

Back
Top Bottom