Ducks on a river?

Chickenmaven

Songster
10 Years
Feb 6, 2009
Michigan
I live on a couple acres on a medium sized river. This is definately a residential area. I am thinking about getting some ducks. I know that I cannot keep them with my chickens. Should I just keep them in a pen? Can I let them swim in the river? If so, will they come back to their pen?

Also: what breeds are quiet?

Thank you.

If I were you I would try to 'fence off' part of the river for them to swim in. They would most likely just follow the river wherever it leads if not.

Yeah, I would fence off a section and link it to a pen with a hutch. They may leave, they may not, but I wouldn't want to chance it.

I think the breed of duck might matter. My khakis, and now my cayuga gets along fine with the chickens. However, the muscovys were meaner than crap to the chickens. They would even beat on my huge cochin roo and "flog" him for no reason. We no longer have the muscovys....

Keeping the ducks with the chickens can make it messy though. I take out clean water to the chickens several times a day becuase the ducks muddy it up (even though they have a pool). They will make your coop floor much dirtier, faster. So you just have to keep in mind it will be a little more up-keep.

Quote:
If you get them as babies and raise them in a pen with a swimming pool (one of the large kiddie pools is great and make a ramp), only feed them in the pen and close them in a house at night. Do so until they are 6 months of age and then when you let them out, they should go back in. At least I know mine do.

Question on raising chickens with ducks. If you do not pay close attention and feed plenty of food, your chickens will starve to death. Ducks devour all the food. The will also destroy your chicken pen.

Your welcome. My friend had 12 chickens die before we figured out what was going on. He fed once a day and free ranged. I fed twice a day and free ranged, but my chickens seemed scrawny, until I figured out what was going on. In other words I learned from experience, just happy it did not cost the lives of my chickens. So once they hit 5 to 6 months, you want to move them away from the chickens or feed extra food. Also, if you have them in with chickens and give them a pool, you really have to watch it. I had 3 chickens drown in the kiddie.

I am not saying you cannot raise them with the chickens, because you can, you just have to pay close attention.

Back
Top Bottom