Ducks or Chickens? Pros/Cons

Chickens dig shallow depressions in which to dust-bathe.

Ducks drill holes to China wherever there is a puddle.

Chickens pecking at things is not quite the same as ducks billing things. Chickens peck to see if something is edible, once or twice, and move on. Ducks bill stuff just to see what it is, how it sounds being battered by duck bills, and because it's fun.

Chickens usually sleep at night. Ducks party all night.

Ducks are always smiling. You seldom get the stink-eye expression from a duck. Chickens give you that "I will kill you and eat you" look when they are displeased.

I have both. Plus a pair of geese. If I had to choose again, as if I never had any poultry, but with what I now know about them, I would probably just stick with waterfowl. They're more weather hardy, there is nothing cuter than a duckling, and every day is a joy to them. Ducks gabbling together are conversationalists. Chickens clucking together are usually a hen and chicks, or a rooster tidbitting hens, for a specific purpose. Ducks and geese actually carry on conversations.

Quote:
This is why I would be worried about houseing my chickens and ducks together?
hide.gif
do you think I could if I gave the chickens roosts?

Just don't put water in the coop
tongue.png

My ducks do fine with my chickens in their coop. How many chickens do you have?

The only thing I am worried about is my now confirmed drake mounting my chickens and hurting them.
sad.png
I hope he doesn't. I don't want to have to separate them. I have somewhere I can if I have to, but I like seeing them together.

Well, I dont have chickens yet
lol.png
I have 8 eggs in my incubator though. And one is hatching. Im building a brane new coop for my 12 ducks next year for winter. (a nice walk in coop
big_smile.png
) and I want to keep about 5 chickens if I can
big_smile.png

I prefere chickens. Ducks (at least mine) are incredibly stupid, they have no brains what-so-ever. They don't lay as well as chickens, eat more, take up more space and make a huge mess. They are also a lot louder, with the exception of a rooster.

Quote:
Please dont say your ducks are stupid
sad.png
breaks my heart.
sad.png
I dont care that you dont like the ducks as much. But still breaks my heart
hmm.png

Also, some duck breeds can OUT LAY chickens. Like the khaki campbell, the runner, and the welsh harlequin. My two khaki hens laid MUCH better then my moms red star chickens. What kind of ducks do you have?

Quote:
sad.png
breaks my heart.
sad.png
hmm.png

Also, some duck breeds can OUT LAY chickens. Like the khaki campbell, the runner, and the welsh harlequin. My two khaki hens laid MUCH better then my moms red star chickens. What kind of ducks do you have?

Yeah.. If ducks are so stupid, why bother keeping them?
hmm.png

I can't imagine any duck outlaying my production red
wink.png
Though I'm sure a khaki campbell or a runner could come quite close. My production red has gone months without missing a day of laying.

I've also read that muscovies are not great layers.

It really all depends on the breed (both chickens AND ducks).

Quote:
sad.png
breaks my heart.
sad.png
hmm.png

hmm.png

wink.png
Though I'm sure a khaki campbell or a runner could come quite close. My production red has gone months without missing a day of laying.

Yup, sorry to burst your bubble but my khaki hens laid MUCH better then my moms red stars. Im hopeing my welsh harlequins do to since they are suppost to lay as well or BETTER then khakis
big_smile.png
im just keeping the chickens as eye candy and pets.

Quote:
hmm.png

wink.png

Yup, sorry to burst your bubble but my khaki hens laid MUCH better then my moms red stars. Im hopeing my welsh harlequins do to since they are suppost to lay as well or BETTER then khakis
big_smile.png

How can they lay MUCH better if the chicken lays an egg a day? Really they could only compare, not outbeat
tongue.png

Quote:
big_smile.png

How can they lay MUCH better if the chicken lays an egg a day? Really they could only compare, not outbeat
tongue.png

My moms chickens stoped for the year already, and the guy I sold my khakis to is still getting two a day from hos two khaki hens
smile.png

I have thought for over 4 years, since I bought my little farm house, about the same thing. thought long and hard about it cause when I commit to an animal it is for life. Chickens or Ducks. Well I have had my two ducks for two weeks now and I LOVE THEM. Im not sure that chickens would be as entertaining and fun to watch. On the flip side, before work every morning I have to change the drinking water and the pond water, feed them, at night as soon as I get home the same routine. I still say this is worth the beauty and their theraputic calming ways and sounds (mine dont quack they coo or squeak). I have heard the same as someone else hear said though, that ducks as messier but less susceptible to disease. Mine are for pets not necessarilly for eggs. I work a burn trauma unit 10 hrs a day 5 days a week, I live alone at the base of a mountain chain, where the big sign over my gate reads SANCTUARY these two ducks fit in fine hear life is a balance and my new ducks are just duckie here and have a home for life. Pets are always a commitment. I applaud your thught process and your responsible attitude about this choice. You cant choose you family but you can choose your pets. Good luck let me know your choice Im very interested .
big_smile.png

Quote:
sad.png
breaks my heart.
sad.png
hmm.png

I'm only stating the truth, I have had several duck breeds and none were very bright. Out of pekins, rouens, muscovy's, runners and all kinds of mutts, I've never had one outlay a chicken. They might lay for a few months, then they quit. A chicken is a more efficent layer.

Back
Top Bottom