1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Ducks paying their own way

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by gofasterstripe, Oct 16, 2010.

1. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

At last...something on my mini farm thats paying their own way. Ive sold 2 dozen duck eggs last week and Im now on the way to the Jockey Lot to sell 2 1/2 dozen along with other items. Do you think it will take me long to make a Million......YES...do I feel like a Millionaire......YES [​IMG]
    Im so proud of my ducks. x

2. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    [​IMG]

3. TennesseeTruly

TennesseeTruly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Church Hill, TN
    I literally made a killing selling duck eggs on ebay this Spring and Summer. Chicken eggs sold well but definitely not as much as duck eggs.

Good luck!

Laurie

4. gofasterstripe

Well what can I say.
    I took a load of clothes, halters, boots, t shirts, jackets to start me off on my duck feed slush fund. Also took 2 1/2 dozen eggs to sell.
    I DIDNT SELL 1 EGG!!!!!!!!!!!
    When people asked if I RAISED them chicken eggs, I said Yes Sir, I sure did, but they are duck eggs. He replied the same as everyone else....
    I dont know nothing about no duck eggs.
    I was there for 6 hours, never sold an egg, I even told someone to take half a dozen to try for FREE...NOPE...couldnt GIVE THEM AWAY.
    In the end some old lady was looking for pots for the church soup kitchen, so I said, here take these eggs. She said thank you and I didnt tell her they were duck eggs
    I might of had the same reply of I dont know nothing about no duck eggs.
    I wont give up tho, ill be back next week with my DUCK EGGS even if I have to give them away. But the good news is, I made $30 on selling other stuff.

5. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I would have taken your duck eggs if they were free or reasonably priced. But, then again, I visit this forum a lot and know what to do with them.

6. gofasterstripe

Quote:The eggs werent for hatching, I put them in the refidgerator every day, they were just for cooking.

7. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    Yes, that's what I meant because can't hatch any, anyway. But, I know what to do with them, i.e. baking.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2010
  8. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Try taking some baked goods made with duck eggs for people to try???? so they can see the difference that duck eggs make , over chicken eggs for baking.

9. dieselgrl48

dieselgrl48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Virginia
    Yea I made more money from duckling's, Egg's and hatching egg's in the last 2 summer's than chicken.Turkey and guinea sell well too.I had a couple buyer's local that bought my duck egg's for cake's a couple of season's sooo.Pekin's seem to to lay the largest eating egg's I have found so far and they are great duck's too.

10. TrystInn

TrystInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2009
    Southern Arizona
    Glad to hear it! We sell enough duck eggs, generally speaking, to pay for the feed for all our feathered friends (ducks and chickens). Sometimes they even cover the rabbit food, too. Chicken eggs tend to cycle here, I sell a few dozen a week, but the bakers kick into gear and buy out all my duck eggs at least once a month.

If you ever need to sell duck eggs, make quiche and bring enough to share. Once they taste that wonderful duck egg quiche, you will sell out in seconds!

How does that compare to the chickens? Well, I sold about $500 worth of hens (birds) this summer but only made about $200 selling ducklings (so far)!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by