Ducks put themselves to bed?

I get up at 4 am, so I usually put the quack pack to bed before it gets dark. Today I went out after dark and all the ducks were already in their coop. I was always told this was never going to happen with ducks and was going to let them sleep where they want once my guard geese grow up and I'm more confident in the fencers ability to keep out predators.

Will continuing to put them to bed make them keep up the habit on their own?
Since I raised 3 Muscovy's from eggs I had them in the kennel/coop after they were about 3 weeks old. It only took one time of putting them in the coop with some food and after that they had no problem going in. I kept the door shut until bedtime so they couldn't go in and hang out inside all day. Not sure they would have done that but just in case. They never missed an opportunity to go to bed. :)

Since I raised 3 Muscovy's from eggs I had them in the kennel/coop after they were about 3 weeks old. It only took one time of putting them in the coop with some food and after that they had no problem going in. I kept the door shut until bedtime so they couldn't go in and hang out inside all day. Not sure they would have done that but just in case. They never missed an opportunity to go to bed. :)
I've never fed mine in the coop, but I guess that could work if they have both food and water available (and then possibly take it away when they get locked in for the night).

I don’t feed or water in the coop
I showed them a few times by guiding them in with blue pool noodles
And they all go in as soon as the sun is going down
Or if bugs are out they will let least be right at the coop in the covered area till I say bedtime and In they go
I also don’t own chickens just ducks for 2 years and recently got a gosling who is now 2.5 months old
Even she learned very fast to go in
Sometimes she is the first one inside
I even have separated areas for them and they go into the correct spots
I just thought all ducks did this
I do go lock up as I wouldn’t leave the duck door open at night

I don’t feed or water in the coop
I showed them a few times by guiding them in with blue pool noodles
And they all go in as soon as the sun is going down
Or if bugs are out they will let least be right at the coop in the covered area till I say bedtime and In they go
I also don’t own chickens just ducks for 2 years and recently got a gosling who is now 2.5 months old
Even she learned very fast to go in
Sometimes she is the first one inside
I even have separated areas for them and they go into the correct spots
I just thought all ducks did this
I do go lock up as I wouldn’t leave the duck door open at night
What breed are they? As I said mine would go in Sometimes, but it was hit and miss, and it was always much later than I would prefer. The chickens would go roost at sunset like clockwork, but the ducks would always want to stay up at least another hour. 🤦

What breed are they? As I said mine would go in Sometimes, but it was hit and miss, and it was always much later than I would prefer. The chickens would go roost at sunset like clockwork, but the ducks would always want to stay up at least another hour. 🤦
I have a mix
Pekin , khaki , pekin x khaki , Swedish and anconas and Stella saddleback goose

Back
Top Bottom