Ducks quacking all night?

In one coop that had 100 pekin layers, the ducks were often noisy at night until we added dim lighting.

As per http://www.duckhealth.com/housmngt.html

"It is also beneficial to provide dim light by means of low wattage bulbs during dark periods to help prevent stampeding if the flock is disturbed and to discourage feather pecking."

Have you ever thought that it is your presence (or your neighbour's) that is setting them off? They have really good hearing, and even you opening the back door, or your footsteps could signal to them the possibility of a threat (or if they know it is you, then treats even though you are not planning on providing a midnight snack!).

I have noticed that my ducks stand alert and watch me, even if I just stand by the window near the back door. I am inside the house, and they are already standing to attention 20 yards away in case I come out with food!

My chickens however are less alert and much quieter.

If I check on the birds in the coop at night (sometimes just closing the pop holes, then the drakes are chattering away which is pretty constant if there is something to say, which there usually is when humans are around.

ETA: you could always try using a baby monitor to see if they make noise when you are indoors?

Last edited:
How old are they? Mine were REALLY talkative until they hit about 6-8 months old. It seemed like anything they heard they had to quack at. One night I woke up because my female would not shut up. I walked outside and she was staring at our vines that cover our fences. She would quack and quack then stop. Then the crickets would start chirping and there are a LOT of crickets in those vines they get real loud. Then my duck would start qucking again until the crickets stopped.
roll.png
she was going nuts over those darn crickets.
th.gif

My ducks never sleep at night, you can hear them chattering all night. At 5-6 am every morning if there food bowl isn't full they start going off like roosters. QUACK QUACK QUACK quack!!! I think they just take naps and never sleep for a long time.

Do they ever sleep or is it a constant thing? Affecting their sleep can lead to major health issues. Is there enough roosting space for all? My ducks only make noise in the coop, When they are stressed, hungry, thirsty, want out ect: Are they any of these things maybe? Do you notice tension among your flock, maybe two or more are having "Alfa issues".. just my 2 cents....good luck

I added a dim light but that seemed to make it worse. I could hear them moving around a lot with that.
It can't be my neighbors as the only close one is in bed when they are. He goes to bed early and my other neighbors are too far away.
Mine are about 9 months old.
With 22 in the flock I only have 3 drakes and none are very alpha. Rowan is the boss, it seems and the others are happy with that.
I do not keep food and water in the coop with them but they can see it in their run. They definitely are the first ones I let out in the mornings since they are really making a ruckus at daylight and charge out of their coop to eat and drink.
They nap a good bit during the day and probably do at night. I came home the other night about 9 pm and they were so quiet I was worried but when I petted and talked to the dog before going in the house I heard them make little noises but not full quacking like they sometimes do.
They are about 250 ft from the house and we seldom turn on outside lights.
They do watch for me to get up in the mornings. As soon as I lift the kitchen blinds I see them looking up at the house and their beaks just a flapping! LOL I have to grab my cup of coffee and head down to the barn.

My opinion is that "something" is lurking around.

My mallards always were quiet at night. They had food and water. I had a monitor in the garage where they stayed in cages. After a while I decided to turn off the monitor since they were quiet and sleeping. My BAD mistake. A weasel/mink killed them all one night. I would have heard them if I had left it on.

There is a reason for their behavior. Be vigilant !
old.gif

The only thing lurking around would be my Great Pyrenees. She wanders around all night but the ducks don;t seem to mind her walking past their coop. And she isn't barking constantly so I know that isn't bothering them.

Your dog maybe a clue also........ why would she be wandering around? As I said before, there IS a reason for their behavior. They are not typically noisy at night unless something is bothering them. Be careful!

Back
Top Bottom