duck's refusing to eat regular feed

seaside ducky

Hatching
8 Years
Jul 10, 2011
st augustine, florida
Hi Everyone. I apologize for the length of the following in advance.

I need your assistance again. Some of you may remember, I rescued an injured full grown Peking duck (female..quack!) with an pellet gun wound to her right wing last summer. She has healed beautifully, and has adjusted to our backyard here in the suburbs of coastal north florida. I learned she is approx 2 yrs old. She is friendly and seems to be very comfortable with her digs.

My husband built her two shelters (one for food, the other for extreme weather) she has a wading pool, several bowls and buckets of fresh water. She is protected by a chain link fence bordered on the outside by a 6 ft privacy fence and her area is a 4 ft picket fence. She is protected from every angle as all of you cautioned me toward intruders and hungry dogs.

Here is my dilemma:
She has been eating Dumor finishing/growing poulty feed from last summer until last week. We have been giving her two separate small bowls every morning; one with cracked corn and the other with the feed. Last week, she refused to eat the feed and is scarfing down the cracked corn. Each morning the corn is gone and the feed is mostly still there. We bought a new bag thinking maybe the feed is getting old. She still won't eat it. We then switched her to Dumor layer feed, due to her age. (She has never laid any eggs the whole time we've had her.) She won't eat that either and continues to chow down the corn like she is starving. Now, she is sleeping more in the daytime than she used to. I'm obviously worried that she is getting ill or that something is wrong. I haven't seeked the advise of a vet because i trust your combined advice and assistance.

Thoughts and suggestions are welcome. Thank you very much,

Seaside Ducky.

When my runners start turning up their bills at food, there are a few things I try. What seems to work every time is wetting the food. This means, of course, that I don't put quite as much food in the pan, because wet food will eventually mold (there is some debate about the number of hours it is safe, so go with what you are comfortable with and don't forget the sniff test).

I also sometimes add a heavy sprinkling of hard winter wheat berries to the moistened food. It's a little messy, but a high-sided pan helps avoid splash. And then after a few days, I offer the food dry, and it tastes good again, apparently.

If she's just eating corn, she is carb-loading, and I don't doubt she'd be more drowsy, with far fewer nutrients and more carbohydrates. See if you can give her a few alternative treats like peas or lettuce, nice fresh stuff, and dampen (even to a wet oatmeal consistency if she likes it) to pellets for a few days.

I would make a mash like Amiga said with wet food, peas, lettuce, and dandelion leaves! I don't know why, but all of my ducks have LOVED dandelion leaves! Give it a whirl! It can hurt anything, right?
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom