Ducks regressing

RCAKB

Chirping
9 Years
Aug 3, 2013
Texas
Hey y'all! I need your advice. My ducks are totally regressing. When they were ducklings I had them in various spots as they grew but always took them to our half acre pond daily. Once they got big enough I let them out of their cage and into the pond. They LOVED it they didn't want to be cooped back up so they stayed overnight. Broke my heart because I ended up losing 2 of them. As they got older they finally realized that being cooped up meant that they would survive the night. Every day I would take them to the pond and they would swim everywhere and I pinned them up every night. It was an ideal situation. Slowly they started to only be on the bank of the pond where I used to have them as ducklings. Now they hardly ever even get into the water and so far today they didn't even get close to the water. As soon as I left the pond area they went back up to one of the spots I used to keep them. When I left today they made themselves a new spot. (See pic) It's cute but they are supposed to be in the water!! How do I get them to go into the pond...like away from the bank of the pond? It's like they are regressing or don't like to be in the water...strange.

Attachments

• IMG_4115.JPG
    IMG_4115.JPG
    572.1 KB · Views: 8
Same here. They search for the shade when the heat strikes. In between, they swim and clean themselves. They are in the pond less than they were when there was no heat. Water is not too warm, they can easily cool off a bit, but they choose to search for a more shaded position. It could be heat.

I wonder if something scared them at the pond or in the pond? Snapping turtles can and will bite and drown and eat ducklings and ducks and large mouth bass will bite at their feet. I'd put out some bait and see what you may have lurking in the pond that has scared them. And is their cover around the pond for when a flying pred is around places they can hide?

I wonder if something scared them at the pond or in the pond? Snapping turtles can and will bite and drown and eat ducklings and ducks and large mouth bass will bite at their feet. I'd put out some bait and see what you may have lurking in the pond that has scared them. And is their cover around the pond for when a flying pred is around places they can hide?

I have wondered about that too. We have turtles but I don't think they are snapping turtles but I could not say for sure. I will have to get a better look at them. We definitely have bass fish. There are several mature trees as well as a lot of cattail around the pond as well.

Thanks y'all! I had no idea that ducks will not go into the water when it gets hot outside. I thought that they would be in there year round from all the articles I have read. So thankful for this forum! :thumbsup

They do go into water, especially if the water is shaded, mine is not. Check for predators or anything that could scare them out of the water. You will know for sure when the weather cools off a bit. They could also be hungry and are looking for you as the person who feeds them. They can go closer if they hope to get food. They are also quite loud if they need more feed.

There may be something by the pond or in it that's making them stay back. Mine head for the shade in the heat of the day. They used to go to our little pond until we had a fox attack. Now they have to stay in a fenced area with a pool.

Back
Top Bottom