Ducks sitting on mixed eggs

puddin2018

Chirping
Jun 28, 2018
California
Hello,
This spring I have had a record number of birds go broody and I have more chicks than I know what to do with! Currently 4 ducks sitting on nests with a total of about 30 eggs! 2 of them are sitting on a mixture of both chicken and duck eggs and my question is since chicks hatch a week earlier than ducklings will the hens get up before the ducklings hatch? Should I remove the chicken eggs and put them in the incubator? They should be hatching next week. I would like the mamas to raise the babies because I just moved a batch of chicks outside and my husband will probably kill me if I set up another brooder in the house again lol.

Thanks For Your Help!

Yeah, you'll have to hatch the chicken eggs yourself in the incubator, if left under her, they'll hatch and she'll start getting off the nest more frequently to care to the babies during a critical time when the ducks are just starting to hatch.

Not sure how well a duck rasing chicks will work out, I guess you can try, I know a few people that have, you just have to watch and make sure the chick's don't drown in water.

Back
Top Bottom